Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Back to the Present

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Back to the Present

Geesh, I'm beginning to sound a little like JohnB , but here goes:

At last night's council meeting, Nels Roseland pulled USA Baseball funding off the consent agenda because, among other things, it's $1.5 million over its $8.5 million committed budget.

I was ready for the mayor to lead the charge to fix this free-spending sin of the past. Heck, he could have made major political hay, telling us how this is a perfect example of the borrow & spend mentality of the past council and it's all Harold's fault and it's a perfect example of how this council can fix these failed policies of the past.

I was ready for Michael Joyce to lead the charge to axe these cost overruns that staff is so happy to accept. He's looking for $27 million in cuts, and Nels just gave him an easy $1.5 million of that.

Alas, staff scurried around like roaches when the light is turned on (eek! They might have to RE-BID THE PROJECT! The sky is falling!), Mike said he likes USA Baseball a lot, and Nels was the only one to vote against this latest money pit (we'll be paying the operating costs, too, once it's built).

To be sure, I'm disappointed in all six council members who voted to increase the boondoggle's cost. But I'm just floored that Nels handed, on a polished silver platter, to Mike & Ernie a way to achieve their stated objectives, and the opportunity was lost.

The past is now. The future is now.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

To a familiar baseball tune

Take me out to the ball game
    18% mores what you paid
    Add in more dollars to support the place
    And the taxpayers never get out of the race

So its root root root for the corporate welfare
    After all itís the tourists that will pay
    So itís One, Two, Three, million more
    By the Cary Town Council spending gang!
    Fear, are you STILL being manipulated by it?

johnb is offline Verified 3-Star Forum General

Geesh, I'm beginning to sound a little like JohnB , but here goes:

Great, more "filthy white trash" screaming for frugality rational budget prioritization.

StanN is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Basebal USA

I'm absolutely floored. Baseball USA was the most egregious example of frivolous, out of control spending I can think of...and MJ and EM vote for spending still more. How can they have any credibility left when they say we need to control spending. How can they approve the over-run and yet call for less spending on parks and roads. UNBELIEVABLE!!

But let me guess...the Chamber supported Baseball USA. If so, I can understand the mayor...but MJ as well?

stan

Don is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

A few questions/comments if I may:

1) How far along is the construction already (I honestly don't know) ie. is it half built already or what? If so, then halting a project already started doesn't make much sense either.

2) While Nels is "playing" fiscal conservative and questioning the over-run of USA Baseball AS WELL AS wanting to cut the FIRE DEPT. funding - he is threatening NOT to support a budget that doesn't DOUBLE funding for open space.

and 3) Beware the games played while the camera is on.
    Don

2) While Nels is "playing" fiscal conservative and questioning the over-run of USA Baseball AS WELL AS wanting to cut the FIRE DEPT. funding - he is threatening NOT to support a budget that doesn't DOUBLE funding for open space.

That's what I like about you Don...you get it!

Rono
    Fear, are you STILL being manipulated by it?

johnb is offline Verified 3-Star Forum General

Given that we don't currently know what the state of the construction is in terms DonF has a valid point. The fact that it should never have been built is a given. It is as much a waste of money as is Regency. Anyone, STAN, who would argue for one and against the other is the one with the least credibility of anyone in this discussion.

I am quite probably the biggest baseball fan on this board and *I* find the project fiscally irresponsible and offensive to the old dictum that the government which governs least governs best.

Finish it, then sell it. Put it on the auction block with Regency, the tennis center, and do it the same day the doggie park and the Aquatics Palace are cancelled.

While Nels is "playing" fiscal conservative...

Cute stunt eh?

Laurie is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Forum General

The town has a bid (for $1.5 million above budget) that will expire on June 21. Nothing should have been built yet.
    "You don't have power if you surrender all your principles - you have office." Ron Todd

Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by Rono
    To a familiar baseball tune

Take me out to the ball game
    18% mores what you paid
    Add in more dollars to support the place
    And the taxpayers never get out of the race

So its root root root for the corporate welfare
    After all itís the tourists that will pay
    So itís One, Two, Three, million more
    By the Cary Town Council spending gang!
    That would be a CP Classic Quote!
    - Brent Miller

Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    A few questions/comments if I may:

1) How far along is the construction already (I honestly don't know) ie. is it half built already or what? If so, then halting a project already started doesn't make much sense either.
    Design is done; construction has not started. This was the bid award for the construction.

I'm all for open space, and there is the often-used argument of "well, the voter passed the bonds for open space, so we ought to be using the money and buying open space", but I have to conclude that this isn't the year to take on the additional $1M.

Oh, I do, I do. Especially when someone pulls something from Consent. But I'm glad this one was debated in the open, and in this case (let me see if I can force myself to type these words ) I have to agree with Nels and Jack (there I did it! ) -- at least Jack's speech, although he turned around when it was time to vote.
    - Brent Miller