Thread: Mayor's State of the Town Address

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default Mayor's State of the Town Address

In response to Mayor McAlister's State of the Town Address, I've prepared a couple of charts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mayor
    As many of you know, our community experienced a significant pause from 1998 to 2003. I am happy to say that in 2005, we’ve seen the first signs of a return to the prosperity of earlier years.

Our tax base is rebounding, which is good news since this is the principle way we are able to pay for the rising cost of providing quality services and building roads and parks while keeping taxes low. Even so, we have a long way to go before we meet previous Council’s vision of maintaining a healthy population growth rate target of 3-4 percent over a rolling five-year period.
    I am still working on charts that show revenues as compared with population growth but the actual population #'s don't seem to jive with the assertion that there was much of a "significant pause". The #'s actually point to only 1 "bad year" - 2004. Whether a delayed result of impact fee changes and/or ordinance hurdles, it's probably difficult to know for sure. It seems clear though that all trendlines (yearly, 3 yr, 5 yr) are pointing to a slower growth rate (not necessarily a bad thing IMO) and I expect we will level off at around 2% (still above the nation average) instead of the 3%-4% target.

What do you all make of this???

<table>
    <tr><td> Year </td><td> Est Pop. </td><td> Yearly </td><td> 5 yr ave </td><td> 3 yr ave </td></tr>
    <tr><td>-------------</td><td>-------------</td><td>-------------</td><td>-------------</td><td> ------------</td></tr>
    <tr><td>1998</td><td> 85232</td><td><hr></td><td><hr></td><td><hr></td></tr>
    <tr><td>1999</td><td> 90606</td><td>6.31%</td><td><hr></td><td><hr><td></tr>
    <tr><td>2000</td><td>96166</td><td>6.14%</td><td><hr></td><td>4.28%</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2001</td><td>99798</td><td>3.78%</td><td><hr></td><td>3.38%</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2002</td><td>102792</td><td>3.00%</td><td>4.12%</td><td>2.30%</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2003</td><td>106358</td><td>3.47%</td><td>3.48%</td><td>2.19%</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2004</td><td>107973</td><td>1.52%</td><td>2.46%</td><td>1.68%</td></tr>
    <tr><td>2005</td><td>111039</td><td>2.84%</td><td>2.25%</td><td>1.47%</td></tr>
    </table>
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

What I make of this is that the mayor's statement is not backed by the data. That also is the case for many of the other statements in his State of the Town address. In fact, his address (excerpts in Cary News) has no numbers other than dates and a couple incidental numbers.

Where's the data to back up the statements?

The Cary News is soliciting letters reacting to the mayor's address. I hope they get many.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Also, revenue growth without the associated expenses incurred for the increased demand on services is irrelevant.

Also, percentage growth comparisons are often misleading. Cary adds the equivalent of the total population of other small towns every year.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass