Thread: Just got back from Portland Or.

StanN is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Just got back from Portland Or.

http://www.trimet.org/about/history/maxoverview.htm

It sure makes one rethink the commuter rail program. 250,000/day ride the Max to work to college to the theater. For a fraction of the cost of operating most cars. When developers want the line extended to new areas they are developing - the pay a big part of the cost. Downtown businesses pay for your trip if you get on in the city center and get off befor you cross the river and go into the suburbs. Downtown Portland is alive and vibrant. The streets are busy but the traffic moves. Many good restaurants and shops. The many small parks are beautiful and always had a statue or some form of public art.

The guy who cuts my hair commutes on the Max." I could never work here without the Max." The young doorman at the hotel rides the Max to the college he's going to. When the impressive concert hall emptied out - about 2000 folks walked to the Max.

An interesting lifestyle when gas costs $50 per tank and could go higher. It causes one to rethink the pros and cons of train centered, dense development.

Stan

DarylB Guest

Default Re: Just got back from Portland Or.

Quote Originally Posted by StanN
    http://www.trimet.org/about/history/maxoverview.htm

It sure makes one rethink the commuter rail program. 250,000/day ride the Max to work to college to the theater. For a fraction of the cost of operating most cars. When developers want the line extended to new areas they are developing - the pay a big part of the cost. Downtown businesses pay for your trip if you get on in the city center and get off befor you cross the river and go into the suburbs. Downtown Portland is alive and vibrant. The streets are busy but the traffic moves. Many good restaurants and shops. The many small parks are beautiful and always had a statue or some form of public art.

The guy who cuts my hair commutes on the Max." I could never work here without the Max." The young doorman at the hotel rides the Max to the college he's going to. When the impressive concert hall emptied out - about 2000 folks walked to the Max.

An interesting lifestyle when gas costs $50 per tank and could go higher. It causes one to rethink the pros and cons of train centered, dense development.

Stan
    Bon Voyage, Stan. Hope you'll be happier in PORTLAND! Makes me glad to hear the money for such a boondoggle wasn't wasted here where it would go largely unused!

:-'' :-'' :-''