Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Sign, sign everywhere a sign except at Carpenter Farm Supply

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandalay
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel
    That being said, since the sign went up the only useful information I have gotten from them is when streets downtown are closed for parades or festivals and when the water boil alert was lifted.

- David F.
    Great! That was worth $500,000. To think, that money might otherwise have been wasted on C-Tran.
    Or elementary School Resource Officers. Or open space. Or a sliver of land to be banked toward a school site.

Maybe they'll be able to make a brief exception this fall and light up the signs to wish farewell to elected officials who continue their arrogance and hypocrisy. That would be worth a chunk of change anyway!
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

d4vendel is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel
    That being said, since the sign went up the only useful information I have gotten from them is when streets downtown are closed for parades or festivals and when the water boil alert was lifted.

- David F.
    Great! That was worth $500,000. To think, that money might otherwise have been wasted on C-Tran.
    I'm on your side on this one, ArtV. I think the signs were a complete waste of money. I am in no way trying to justify their existence!

David F.
    ==================================
    David Forvendel

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

Yeah, sorry. That was obvious from your post. Nobody on this board has ever tried to justify those signs.

DarylB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dhyatt
    And have you noticed the town's ugly electronic signs have been turned off for months!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes - we've noticed that. I came very close to decorating the green poles with red ribbons over the holidays so they'd serve some purpose.
    I'd think that decorating them to look like pine trees would make people think we've gotten a few more cell phone towers....

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default Re: Sign, sign everywhere a sign except at Carpenter Farm Supply

7 years later, the signs fall prey to their own karmic wave.

http://www.carynews.com/2013/03/26/7...arys-sign.html

http://www.wisdomsdoor.com/rc4/hrc4-17.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    As inidicated in my letter to the Cary News , I think it's a shame that the Carpenter Farm Supply sign is to be torn down. Although the sign is relatively modern and lacking any formal historic designation, some of us feel it contributes to the character of the Carpenter Historic District (a pole sign of some form has stood at this location for about as long as the store has been there...90 years or so).

In fact, my front yard has this:

It's especially galling that at the same time Staff is sending out letters to private business owners to tear down their pole signs or incur fines, government is putting up its own pole signs.

Some have compared the taxpayer-financed signs to Hampton Inn signs. That being the case, don't be surprised if you see something like this on the new pole signs from your friends in Cary government:

:P :P
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org