Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign, sign everywhere a sign except at Carpenter Farm Supply

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Meanwhile,

Meanwhile, in the newly renovated "Chamber of Secrets," underground between Town of Cary Council Chambers and the Chamber of Commerce a party is going on. Folks wearing either Black or Red robes are running around celebrating their victory on the signs, and how easily the "people" showed no concern over the State & City budgets, the bridge, and the "so-called" sewer spills. They are drinking & praying at the various alters within the Chamber, which includes the banker altar, developer altar, realtor altar, builder altr, downtown development altar, and the most important one of all (maybe?), the People Magazine Altar of Distraction & Apathy!

Life is good for those who wear the "Robes of Power!"

Wuptdo
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default July 5th, Cary News.....

From "Your Letter's" in the Cary news:

Carpenter Pole Sign = 5

Town of Cary (Jeff Ulma) = 0

Good campaign, Brent! Keep "Fighting the Power" and you find yourself the Mayor of Cary in a "write-in" campaign.

Wuptdo
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Four, count 'em, four, letters to the editor in today's Cary News excoriating the Planning Staff, deservedly so, for their ridiculous, hypocritical and arrogant pole sign circus.

Well said, letter writers!
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

For those of you old enough to remember....

Much obliged if someone would re-host and re-post asap.

AV

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Media coverage of this issue continues to expand, and it's not very favorable for Cary staff, and yet as far as I can tell, Cary staff continue to cover their eyes and ears and plod forward, hoping this issue will just go away.

Well, it won't.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

Once more, the Cary News is filled with letters from outraged citizens, and even an editorial column, about thosed darned signs, and especially about the cost! This round, I expected our elected leaders to respond to the uproar, but the Cary News carried no response from the city.

Are they hoping this will just go away?

In all fairness, the city council supposedly approved these message signs unanimously, so they must have thought there was some value in them. The timing could not have been worse for them, seeing as their efforts to take away private signs came to a head right at the same time the city signs went up. It didn't help them that the only thing they have on their signs right now is "Drive Safely" plus time and temperature. (I'm sure the local banks would have been willing to give us that for free.)

Keep the heat on them. Could they quantify twelve million dollars in benefit from those signs, even if they could use them to show re-runs of Andy Griffith?

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandalay
    Once more, the Cary News is filled with letters from outraged citizens, and even an editorial column, about thosed darned signs, and especially about the cost! This round, I expected our elected leaders to respond to the uproar, but the Cary News carried no response from the city.

Are they hoping this will just go away?

In all fairness, the city council supposedly approved these message signs unanimously, so they must have thought there was some value in them. The timing could not have been worse for them, seeing as their efforts to take away private signs came to a head right at the same time the city signs went up. It didn't help them that the only thing they have on their signs right now is "Drive Safely" plus time and temperature. (I'm sure the local banks would have been willing to give us that for free.)

Keep the heat on them. Could they quantify twelve million dollars in benefit from those signs, even if they could use them to show re-runs of Andy Griffith?
    You're being too generous. Over the last several years, Cary has had a plethora of "timing" issues when it comes to public relations. In a nutshell, their public relations sucks. From the attempted ousting of downtown auto-related businesses to annexations, the signs issue (and the associated sign ordinance), public art, non-profits, sewage plant, soccer park, dog park, skate park, ball parks, tennis parks..... the list goes on and on. They've mishandled just about all of them and managed to generate confusion. irritation, and some downright anger along the way. Even Cary's successesss are often clouded by their poor PR. I guess it takes more neurons than available to have figured out in advance that a simple statement like "the pole signs in Carpenter and South Hills have some history behind them so we are going to extend the removal deadline 24 months while we review the community impact" or "Cary's new information signs, as part of our ongoing efforts to improve traffic flow throughout the town, will warn drivers of accidents and traffic problems, allowing them to find alternate routes and saving them gas" would go a long way in appeasing the public and keeping down the protests. (The wording probably isn't perfect since I only thought about it for 30 seconds but you get the idea.)

Cary should take some of the money they are throwing around and spend it on a good PR person that will spend all of the two minutes required to provide some insight as to how the public is likely to respond to some of these issues. Their current "spin doctor" seems to be operating from a purely adversarial position towards the public. CTC should know that if staff continues with its "us vs. them" mentality, everyone loses - including them at the next election.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

DarylB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dhyatt
    Cary should take some of the money they are throwing around and spend it on a good PR person that will spend all of the two minutes required to provide some insight as to how the public is likely to respond to some of these issues. Their current "spin doctor" seems to be operating from a purely adversarial position towards the public. CTC should know that if staff continues with its "us vs. them" mentality, everyone loses - including them at the next election.
    Susan Moran (the current "Spin Doctor") is so used to shoving her agenda onto the public, it has reached the level of Rasputin. She needs to be fired for her lies about the sewage spill at Swift creek, if not for the years of abuse that preceded this latest event (I've written about many, as have others). I disagree with your assessment of a need for a "good PR person". What CTC needs is honesty, and an appreciation for the people they serve, instead of disapproving arrogance. It is their fault that staff gets to treat the citizens of Cary so poorly, and it is to their shame that these endless fiascos continue to mount. It is to the common discredit of the citizens of Cary that the elections that could change this go on and on and on repeatedly, perpetuating misery and arrogance.

However, it is one of the traits of democracy that you get representative government, and in that endeavor, you seek to find people that carry forward those values of the electorate. I think that's the basic problem, the electorate has no real interest in participating in democratic processes, they have placed no particular value on financial responsibility, and they have no particular interest in honesty. They have in fact elected a council, who has in turn installed a staff, that reflects these values.

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB
    I think that's the basic problem, the electorate has no real interest in participating in democratic processes, they have placed no particular value on financial responsibility, and they have no particular interest in honesty. They have in fact elected a council, who has in turn installed a staff, that reflects these values.
    You are right about the electorate having no real interest in the process, until they find out the city spent twelve million dollars on signs! That sudden wake up call is enough to get a bunch of incumbents wiped out, at which point we will go back to sleep.

Run for office, if you're inclined, and use the sign-spending as a key issue. Those people in power have no idea what our tax money is really worth.

Dharma is offline Verified Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

You are right about the electorate having no real interest in the process, until they find out the city spent twelve million dollars on signs! That sudden wake up call is enough to get a bunch of incumbents wiped out, at which point we will go back to sleep.
    I'm not sure what it will take to wake up the electorate, Art. In Raleigh they put up an $8 million pedestrian bridge that only services a very small group of people (mostly upper class). Meanwhile, there was a budget crisis! I understood there were some cross exchanges betweena few citizens and commissioners but that's as far as it went.

The problem with nasty politics is that most of us don't know what to do about it. We can go to planning meetings and try to express our views but since the Commission is loaded with developers...it's a waste of time and effort. Look at how Mike Joyce got railroaded in the Diamante incident.

We can go stamp our feet and scream at them but after awhile, we're looked at as if we're a local "Daryl" and lose all credibility.