Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rep. Ty Harrell, 100 Legislative Days=100 % improvement

Default Rep. Ty Harrell, 100 Legislative Days=100 % improvement

Greetings, I am a newbie to these boards. I am a political volunteer for Rep. Ty Harrell of the 41st NC House District, which includes parts of Cary. I am pasting in a press release below that I have submitted as an article for the site. In my role as volunteer, I will be posting stuff like this from time to time, to not only update the Cary board on Rep. Harrell, but to also spur discussion. I promise NOT inundate the boards.

Political discussions welcomed, flames and snotty comments off topic will be ignored. Thanks!

100 LEGISLATIVE DAYS EQUALS 100 PERCENT IMPROVEMENT FOR 41ST DISTRICT

Rep. Ty Harrell Serves as Primary Or Co-Sponsor on 121 Bills

Raleigh – As the North Carolina General Assembly completes its 100th legislative day, Rep. Ty Harrell is making good on his promise to provide effective representation for the citizens of the 41st District. Harrell has served as the primary sponsor on 33 bills and co-sponsor of 88 bills.

“I am working hard to ensure that the interests of Western Wake County are represented in the General Assembly,” said Rep. Harrell. “These first six months of the legislative session have been a learning experience as I meet with constituents to hear their concerns. Throughout these meetings, one theme has emerged – give us common sense solutions that cross party lines.”

Rep. Harrell has sponsored bills on several issues including;

Tougher penalties for adults who provide alcohol to minors,
    Protection of personal information in online traffic accident reporting,
    No fee use of personal leave for public school teachers,
    Punishment for those who reveal the identity of undercover law enforcement officers.

NC House leaders have praised the first-term legislator for his effectiveness. “Rep. Harrell has been able to successfully navigate several important bills through the General Assembly. This, combined with his abilities to work with members on both sides of the aisle, has made him one of our most effective freshman legislators,” said Speaker Joe Hackney.

“Rep. Ty Harrell has made a big impact in the House and has a very bright future. The people in his district are fortunate to have him as their Representative,” said Majority Leader Hugh Holliman.

“It has been a pleasure to work with both Republicans and Democrats in the NC House,” added Rep. Harrell. “Many of these bills that I have sponsored received overwhelming bipartisan support and I am grateful for that. No party has a monopoly on common sense or good ideas.”

Ty Harrell is a Raleigh native who represents the 41st District in the NC House, which includes parts of Raleigh, Cary, Morrisville and Apex. His most important supporters are his wife, Melanie, and his two sons, Leighton and Kieren. For more political information on Ty Harrell, please point your web browser to – www.votetyharrell.com.

DarylB Guest

First question for you, how can you support this gerrymandered mess of a redistricting plan? Who does it represent, and what do the West of Apex members of this group have in common with North Raleigh?

House Redistricting Plan

Well, I can cut to the chase and tell you that personally, I don't support the redistricting plan. Of course, none of us agree with our elected Reps 100% of the time do we?

Hopefully, that's not an attempt on your part to draw us into some sort of debate on redistricting in and of itself, seems like that would be best on a separate thread.

DarylB Guest

Next question, what will Ty Harrell do to restore the highway funds for I540 that were stolen from the highway trust fund, forcing western Wake into possibly paying tolls to use the road we already paid for (if indeed it ever gets built)?

How-dy!
    Is that BR549 as in the band or BR549 as in Junior Samples?
    "Facts don't do what I want them to". - David Byrne

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB
    First question for you, how can you support this gerrymandered mess of a redistricting plan? Who does it represent, and what do the West of Apex members of this group have in common with North Raleigh?
    I didn't read anything in the post that indicates that BR549, Rep. Harrell, or anyone else supports the shape of the district.

Also, looking at a map of all the districts in Wake County, district 41 is less compact than some districts and more compact than other districts. It does not look as "gerrymandered" as the US House districts in NC and many other states.

The fact that the district includes area west of Apex and some of North West Raleigh has more to do with the way the towns and cities are growing.

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Just a thought.....

It is too bad the other "handlers" of NCSL who represent our area also don't put out press releases. I certainly know what they haven't done -- reduced spending and cut taxes!

"Gloom, dispaire, and misery on me, deep dark depression always on me, all because I live in Wake County, if it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all, gloom, dispaire, and misery on me!" - Hee Haw song

Wuptdo
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

Default Re: Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Wuptdo
    ...I certainly know what they haven't done -- reduced spending and cut taxes!
    And

let the counties decide for themselves about transfer tax and impact tax,

let all cities, towns, and counties (more than just Chapel Hill) decide for themselves if they want public financed elections (reducing the dependence of candidates on big money interests like the Realtors,

do anything about health care for those that can't afford it,

etc. etc.

Default my handle is an homage to

the late, great, Junior Samples!

Sorry I haven't posted more on this thread that I started, I had to out of town for work for a couple of days.

As to the question of where Rep. Harrell is on the 540 dilemma, I frankly am new in town and don't know enough to fully converse on the issue. I *believe* (and this is my personal thought, in no way representative of Rep. Harrell...) that Ty is in favor of the state picking up the shortfall, without resorting to a toll road. I need to look again, but my memory says that he was co-sponsor on a bill like that.

What that does to the budget projections/outlook for NC, overall, I have no idea.

The other posts seem sort of theoretical to me for the intent of this thread. Clearly, those who would just type - "reduce spending and cut taxes" right off the bat with no previous context in the thread, are of a more conservative bent. And that's of course fine, but IMHO, the great tax and spending debate would seem larger than just political opinions and discussion on one state rep. and thus worthy of it's own thread.

Why not say - "I see where the state budget is X and Rep. Harrell voted for Y. How does he believe we should pay for XYZ, make up any shortfalls, etc."

FYI - Rep. Harrell won final passage for his first bill last night, a new law to revoke the license of those who are caught providing alcohol to minors. Gov. Easley is expected to sign the bill next week sometime.

What a change - Rep. Capps sponsors ONE bill in 12 years - something to do with the displaying of governmental flags - and here Rep. Harrell does more (actually, a lot more) than that in six months.

Don't forget H36, Haz. Materials Task Force Recommendations, that was a result of the fire in Apex. Rep. Harrell was a prime sponsor. It has been signed by the Governor.

I was a supporter of Rep. Harrell when he defeated Rep. Capps last year and support his reelection.

Just a review of his voting record http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...569&sChamber=H
    indicates the difference between Ty and many of the other legislators.