Thread: Davis & High House

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Davis & High House

Toby Coleman at the N&O reports on WakePol:

"Controversial Cary development gets a boost"

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/wakepo...&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

It won't require a supermajority, because there's no longer a valid protest petition.

Excerpts:

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Coleman
    It was not immediately clear how the project's developers, Crosland, lowered the hurdle for their project.

In recent days, Crosland has redrawn the property lines of the project, invalidating some of the protest petitions. Other neighbors appear to have withdrawn their protest.
    Redrawing property lines after protest petitions are filed? Is that a new one in Cary? I can't remember it before.

I say, if property lines for a project are redrawn, it should start the entire rezoning process from scratch.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default Re: Davis & High House

Quote Originally Posted by Brent

It won't require a supermajority, because there's no longer a valid protest petition.

Excerpts:

It was not immediately clear how the project's developers, Crosland, lowered the hurdle for their project.

In recent days, Crosland has redrawn the property lines of the project, invalidating some of the protest petitions. Other neighbors appear to have withdrawn their protest.
    Redrawing property lines after protest petitions are filed? Is that a new one in Cary? I can't remember it before.

I say, if property lines for a project are redrawn, it should start the entire rezoning process from scratch.
    No, it's not new and Crosland developers are no dummies. They knew they would face more than the usual hurdles during an election season. Crosland does quality work and I'm certain this site will wind up looking every bit as nice as the rest of their projects, yet it's unfortunate that Cary's rigid guidelines and neighborhood opposition work to prevent any real new innovation in design. After a while, all the upscale, mixed-use, urban utopias begin to look alike.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Yep....

AdminH wrote:
    After a while, all the upscale, mixed-use, urban utopias begin to look alike.
    Like the Aboretrum at Harrison & Weston Freeway?

Then again, who can use the Aboretrum these days due to lack of parking. Heck, I have to phone in my order for Bang-Bang Shrimp from Bonefish, drop a kid off in front to go get it, and drive 3 laps around the building, then pick him up.

One of your P&Z types, please tell me that Jeff & Company have learned from their "mistakes" at the Aboretrum?

Wuptdo
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

DarylB Guest

Default Re: Yep....

Quote Originally Posted by Wuptdo
    AdminH wrote:
    After a while, all the upscale, mixed-use, urban utopias begin to look alike.
    Like the Aboretrum at Harrison & Weston Freeway?

Then again, who can use the Aboretrum these days due to lack of parking. Heck, I have to phone in my order for Bang-Bang Shrimp from Bonefish, drop a kid off in front to go get it, and drive 3 laps around the building, then pick him up.

One of your P&Z types, please tell me that Jeff & Company have learned from their "mistakes" at the Aboretrum?

Wuptdo
    Just waiting for Stan to weigh in on this one with a propsal to extend the "FailRail" proposal to incluce rail lines through all drive-thru's, not only at the Arboretum, but at every McDonalds and Kool Aid stand..... and I'm waiting for him to say we need more and more taxes to do it.... taxes on goldfish and tricycles shouldn't been but just over the horizen.....gotta love his humor!

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by Wuptdo

Good one, Wup! Planners learning from their mistakes! Tears in my eyes!

The bonehead mistake of all time at the Arboretum now sits across the street...The Umstead was supposed to be part of the Arboretum. But Generalissimo Ulma & Co. didn't like the way it looked.

And even though a couple of council members are beginning to see the light of the mistakes of our "mixed use activity centers" as done in Cary (although it's pretty much too late). the only thing the planners have learned from that mistake is that they have to stay TWO steps ahead of some of the council members, not just one.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB
    Just waiting for Stan to weigh in on this one...taxes on goldfish and tricycles shouldn't been but just over the horizen.
    Sorry for the massive diversion, but your comment included tricycles and Stan, thus triggering something tangentially related and quite possibly inane. What is the deal with bike lanes? Where does the money for those come from? Highway use fee? Gasoline tax? Where?

I am going to be pretty pissed off if a bunch of Lance Armstrong wanna-bes are getting fresh asphalt out of money that comes from cars. Let them pay their own way. If I cannot drive in their lane, why can they ride in mine?
    Rich
    Progressive - someone who believes that no problem is so big that an even bigger government cannot fix it.
    Conservative - someone who believes that no problem is so big that an even biggger government cannot make it worse.

DarylB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    Just waiting for Stan to weigh in on this one...taxes on goldfish and tricycles shouldn't been but just over the horizen.
    Sorry for the massive diversion, but your comment included tricycles and Stan, thus triggering something tangentially related and quite possibly inane. What is the deal with bike lanes? Where does the money for those come from? Highway use fee? Gasoline tax? Where?

I am going to be pretty pissed off if a bunch of Lance Armstrong wanna-bes are getting fresh asphalt out of money that comes from cars. Let them pay their own way. If I cannot drive in their lane, why can they ride in mine?
    As a triathlon junkie and cyclist, I can tell you that bike lanes are a bad idea... they don't get cleared from debris, and you end up riding in the road anyway. I'd like to set the record straight, the road does NOT belong to cars just because your vehicle is bigger, cyclist have every right to be on the roads, and those who don't recognize our rights to the use of the highways are in violation of the law. To declare the lane "yours" indicates a clear lack of knowledge of the legal rights of cyclists, an the legal rules under which we all operate. The real answer is lane widths that allow for passing without forcing motorist into oncoming traffic

I'd like to set the record straight, the road does NOT belong to cars just because your vehicle is bigger, cyclist have every right to be on the roads, and those who don't recognize our rights to the use of the highways are in violation of the law. To declare the lane "yours" indicates a clear lack of knowledge of the legal rights of cyclists, an the legal rules under which we all operate. The real answer is lane widths that allow for passing without forcing motorist into oncoming traffic
    Well, I never knew the day would come. I completely, 100% agree with Daryl on this statement.

Some drivers seem to forget that just about all cyclists actually own a car as well. So, even if they wanted to get picky about the funding of the roads, actually, we're paying the same taxes that you are to build roads. If anything, we are putting LESS wear and tear on the roads by going out on bikes rather than on cars. You should be thanking us for saving you tax dollars.

As a triathlon junkie and cyclist, I can tell you that bike lanes are a bad idea... they don't get cleared from debris, and you end up riding in the road anyway. I'd like to set the record straight, the road does NOT belong to cars just because your vehicle is bigger, cyclist have every right to be on the roads, and those who don't recognize our rights to the use of the highways are in violation of the law. To declare the lane "yours" indicates a clear lack of knowledge of the legal rights of cyclists, an the legal rules under which we all operate. The real answer is lane widths that allow for passing without forcing motorist into oncoming traffic.
    Does the potential irony of a gasoline tax paying for a bike lane not make you wonder if that is that case? That is what I was talking about since you mentioned things being taxed. And if there are dedicated bike lanes that cars are not allowed in, why are the other lanes in that area not reserved for cars? Having bike lanes that way is like having a smoking section and allowing smoking in the other areas too whenever the smokers feel like it. I think that keeping bikes in the bike lanes is safer for everyone.

As for the laws regarding cyclists, because of where I live, I have become all too familiar with the ignorance displayed by cyclists to the following:
    Being Passed
    A bicyclist cannot take actions to prevent another vehicle from lawfully passing. For example, the vehicle being passed must give way to the right when given an audible signal, and may not increase their speed until they are completely passed. [§20-149]
    I have been screamed at by cyclists for honking my horn at them to let them know I was going to pass. I have seen cyclists block entire intersections, rather than let someone pass. I am tired of cyclists saying that they are vehicles with rights to the road but not acting like them. With rights come responsibilities. Take one, you have to fulfill the other.
    Rich
    Progressive - someone who believes that no problem is so big that an even bigger government cannot fix it.
    Conservative - someone who believes that no problem is so big that an even biggger government cannot make it worse.

MattD is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Re: Davis & High House

Quote Originally Posted by Brent

Excerpts:

This is not new in Cary. I don't recall if it was the orginal Umstead project or the now approved condo's, but the developers tried to pull something similar.
    Matt Danielson

"Wisdom trumps fear" - Matthew Danielson

"Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy