Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Child Left Behind

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default No Child Left Behind

I stumbled across this today and it kind of reminded me of the WCPSS...

No Child Left Behind: The Football Version

Author Unknown*
    1. All teams must make the state playoffs, and all will win the championship. If a team does not win the championship, they will be on probation until they are the champions, and coaches will be held accountable.
    2. All kids will be expected to have the same football skills at the same time and in the same conditions. No exceptions will be made for interest in football, a desire to perform athletically, or genetic abilities or disabilities. ALL KIDS WILL PLAY FOOTBALL AT A PROFICIENT LEVEL
    3. Talented players will be asked to work out on their own without instruction. This is because the coaches will be using all their instructional time with the athletes who aren't interested in football, have limited athletic ability, or whose parents don't like football.
    4. Games will be played year round, but statistics will only be kept in the 4th, 8th, and 11th games.
    5. This will create a New Age of sports where every school is expected to have the same level of talent and all teams will reach the same minimal goals.
    *If anyone knows the author, please post so they can be acknowledged appropriately. Thanks.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

kirtl Guest

Default Re: No Child Left Behind

Does anyone know if NC is required to follow NCLB or can opt out by not accepting the federal dollars associated with it? It would seem opting out is not an option or we would hear of those states that are not having NCLB troubles. But I have heard it mentioned, can't find the reference right now, that it was not a requirement if you did not accept the funding. Anyone know?

StanN is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

I've heard Utah dropped out...but my understanding is that you lose your Title one money from the feds.

kirtl Guest

Exactly where I was going with this. If NCLB is such a headache and so costly, and if you can avoid its problems by simply not accepting the insufficient money, wouldn't that be the intelligent thing to do? Then we could concentrate on solving it locally rather than federally.

Quote Originally Posted by kirtl View Post
    Exactly where I was going with this. If NCLB is such a headache and so costly, and if you can avoid its problems by simply not accepting the insufficient money, wouldn't that be the intelligent thing to do? Then we could concentrate on solving it locally rather than federally.
    Of course, we'd need a Board of Education that had that ability. And we'd need to pony up more tax dollars...

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Don't know the author, but might also add something akin to this:

(it's sort of a corollary to #2): Coaches will record the demographic information of the team. It is important to sort players into racial/ethnic/cultural/gender groups so that we can determine if any group failed to demonstrate football proficiency. If any group (based on the criteria we came up with for grouping) fails to demonstrate football proficiency, then the entire team shall be considered a miserable failure.
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Though a year old, still an interesting read:

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...A1MmFkOGQ4YWE=

There They Go Again
    Social engineering in our schools.

By Liam Julian

Now that the Supreme Court has ruled against the Louisville and Seattle school districts, race-based student assignment policies are mostly illegal. Superintendents around the nation are seeking other ways to maintain social diversity in their hallways and classrooms.

Last week, John Edwards entered the discussion, opting for this month’s faddish solution to K-12’s problems: income-based integration. (The Washington Post is on the bandwagon, too.) This “assign them by income” idea is based on the premise that district school-assignment policies can achieve integration by using socioeconomic status — not yet a proscribed category. The formula is being touted by school officials, journalists, policy wonks (and, now, presidential candidates) as diversity’s best hope in the current jurisprudential climate (see here and here).

As Reagan might say, there they go again, with yet another rendition of social engineering via public schooling. (more above)
    If I recall, most of Wake's score were a little lower this year as well. Seems to me that the millions of dollars wasted on busing (failed diversity policies) would be better spent directly in the classroom.

Interesting remark of the week from a School Board member:
    Kevin Hill (elected last year), vice chairman of the school board, said the diversity policy is something worth trying to hold on to for as long as possible. He said he didn't know how high fuel costs would have to get before it became impractical.
    Hey Kevin, I was there when you were bragging about having a economics degree and bringing "fiscal" conservatism to the BoE(eR). Seems to me, that you are now addicted to the WCPSS magic "kool-aid" or you are just an outright liar like Miss Lindy Brown. IMHO, "diversity" should of been tossed when the BoE(eR) decided to go to mandatory year round schools.

Where's the proof?
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

Wuptdo is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

As you are aware the WCPSS prides itself on its "diversity" policies based on social economic status. However, what happens when 64% of the folks are getting "free & reduce" lose it or have it reduced. Are they really then "free & reduced" and thus considered a diverse population? See below (sorry, no direct link)

http://www.carolinajournal.com/cjpri...int.html?id=90

(click on, and download the PDF file on the bottom of the above page)

You won't find this in the NandO and other media for obvious reasons. However, I think WCPSS & School Board(eR) have a lot of explaining to do. (Remember, over 30,000 kids reassigned over the last 3 years and none in Rosa Gills district.) FYI, the fraud here pales in comparison to the WC "credit card" scandal. This is your tax dollars too!!
    Last edited by Wuptdo; 07-08-2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: grammer
    “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe.
    Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
    I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
    All those moments, lost in time, like tears in rain.

StanN is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

I read the article and it is sophisticated propaganda..typical of the number crunching done by JLF.

Your "64%" number is typical of John Locke's approach to schools. The numer comes from a 3% sample of households most likely to game the system, i.e. those slightly above the official poverty level. The 64% only amounted to 261 households and there is no proof that it involves the remainder involving many thousand of families. It is total speculation and totally and intentionally misleading to represent the 64% as typical of the total program. Its like saying that 64% of the claims the IRS audits have understated their income tax.

Also note that WCPSS does verify income to the extent allowed by federal law...so the solution is to change the law and tighten enforcement...or randomly sample the other 97% who are not closely inspected...and then make further decisions based on that evaluation.

Yes, there are families who game the system....but since JLF would like to see the collapse of the public schools and WCPSS in particular, they present the data to inflame rather than inform. That is their mission. And they offer no solutions.

How predictable that Ron M and Tony G would pile on....birds of a feather.

Quote Originally Posted by StanN View Post
    but since JLF would like to see the collapse of the public schools and WCPSS in particular, they present the data to inflame rather than inform. That is their mission. And they offer no solutions.

How predictable that Ron M and Tony G would pile on....birds of a feather.
    I probably don't know as much about JLF as you do. Do they have some kind of a mission statement which lists the collapse of public schools as one of their objectives?

As far as solutions, it would seem we have the answer in front of us -- and you alluded to it. Get the law changed so that a 100% audit can be completed on all participants.