Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: IOPL Graduates

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default IOPL Graduates

A hearty round of applause to CP Members CatherineE and Brent, both of whom were graduated by the Institute of Political Leadership (NC IOPL) this past Saturday. Brent provided the graduation remarks and I'm told they both thoroughly enjoyed the 10 week program and learned quite a bit in the process. Hopefully, we will have Brent's speech availalble soon.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

MattD is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Re: IOPL Graduates

Quote Originally Posted by dhyatt View Post
    A hearty round of applause to CP Members CatherineE and Brent, both of whom were graduated by the Institute of Political Leadership (NC IOPL) this past Saturday. Brent provided the graduation remarks and I'm told they both thoroughly enjoyed the 10 week program and learned quite a bit in the process. Hopefully, we will have Brent's speech availalble soon.
    Congrats to the both of you... and welcome to the "club"!!
    Matt Danielson

"Wisdom trumps fear" - Matthew Danielson

"Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

Sincere congratulations to both of you, when can we expect you to run for office?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCiulla View Post
    Sincere congratulations to both of you, when can we expect you to run for office?
    Would any voter wonder why they should vote for a candidate who, for a variety of reasons, was voted out of her elected party office?

With all due respect, this issue needs to be discussed on here in greater detail. I read Ms. Evangelista's response to the question as to why she was removed from office, and I seem to recall nothing quite so simple as her answers to that question.

If I was a Cary voter and I thought she was going to run for office, I'd think that being removed from a party office might have a bearing on her fitness for running for any other office. Just my opinion.....

CatherineE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    Would any voter wonder why they should vote for a candidate who, for a variety of reasons, was voted out of her elected party office?

With all due respect, this issue needs to be discussed on here in greater detail. I read Ms. Evangelista's response to the question as to why she was removed from office, and I seem to recall nothing quite so simple as her answers to that question.

If I was a Cary voter and I thought she was going to run for office, I'd think that being removed from a party office might have a bearing on her fitness for running for any other office. Just my opinion.....
    Welcome to the thread, Wake County dem. party "leader."

Lets be clear here. The people who voted me into office (Cary precinct officers) were not the ones who voted me out. I won the hearing. But it took a kangaroo court appeal with a stacked jury to accomplish the deed. In fact some Cary precinct officers have resigned because of my removal. Still, I'm not the first and I won't be the last to have a falling out with local party "leaders." We've had a fantastic town council woman here in Cary who has undergone the same infighting BS with her party. Incidentally, she's an IOPL fellow, too.

So, nice try on the mud slinging, WCDP officer, but I'll be sticking to the topic on this thread: IOPL.

For anyone interested in IOPL, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Institute of Political Leadership. It's a wonderful fellows program and I can't say enough good things about it. It was an honor to be selected and a pleasure to attend.

DarylB Guest

As concerns the Evangelista ouster, it all just sounds like so many Democratic purges to me, and I haven't really heard anything to suggest otherwise yet. So that's what I'm getting from all this, just another purge........

My Question..... Is the purge system (and its inherent Politburo) the one we want for the selection of our governmental leadership, or do we want and deserve an actual democracy?

CatherineE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    As concerns the Evangelista ouster, it all just sounds like so many Democratic purges to me, and I haven't really heard anything to suggest otherwise yet. So that's what I'm getting from all this, just another purge........

My Question..... Is the purge system (and its inherent Politburo) the one we want for the selection of our governmental leadership, or do we want and deserve an actual democracy?
    Careful, Daryl, you start asking questions like that and WCDP's chair just might start a petition for your removal from CP.

Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    For anyone interested in IOPL, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the Institute of Political Leadership. It's a wonderful fellows program and I can't say enough good things about it. It was an honor to be selected and a pleasure to attend.
    Well said, and ditto for me.

Interested parties also can visit http://www.iopl.org/
    - Brent Miller

"The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post

Or it might not have any bearing. Without knowing all the facts, it's very difficult to get to the bottom of why such a thing happened. Most of the time these discussions, especially when held in a public forum, simply devolve into a 'he said' / 'she said' situation. I'm quite confident that if/when Ms. Evangelista decides to run for public office there will be ample opportunity for discovery.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post

No DB - it wasn't a purge - it was trying to follow the rules for removal of an officer for breaking the rules, All the other stuff was just karma.

And it should be mentioned that Ms. Evangelista didn't win in the Council of Review - they just failed to remove her from office. The COR ruled that her complaint against the Wake Dems Board had no merit (and that is putting it kindly). The complaint against her was found to have merit, but the COR couldn't find the intestinal fortitude to get a 2/3 majority to remove her. A short while later, the COR findings were appealed, and this group of Democrats found 16 to 5 (greater than 3 to 1) there were enough grounds to remove Ms. Evangelista from her position on the Cary Board.

She claims that Cary voters elected her to that position, and that is correct. But the NCDP Plan Of Organization allows only for removal of an officer under certain grounds, and apparently those grounds were met by her removal from office.

And the funny thing is that within 30 days after she was removed, apparently she was hoping to run again for the office that she was just removed from. Otherwise, why get proxies to come vote for her? Of course, lack of paying attention to the rules meant that the e-mailed and unsigned proxies just didn't count. So since no one else decided to run other than the head of the Western Wake Dems, this person won the office by acclimation.

One thing I realize being in politics is that even though we all want to be individuals, we all need to learn to work together towards a common good. And if you end up on the minority end of a vote, you need to learn to accept it and work the system better. And that doesn't mean tripping anyone if you can't work and play with them.

You might think you know who this is, but then again you could be wrong - I might really be someone else sitting in front of this other person's house - "war driving" with a laptop, a pringle's can and a wire coathanger - if and only if this person has unencrypted wireless internet access.