Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Enemy, Enemy, Whose Got An Enemy?

chaboard is offline Verified Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Enemy, Enemy, Whose Got An Enemy?

Really good post by Kevin Drum today commenting on this excellent Charles Blow column (and you really should read the original column)

Charles Blow has been listening to talk radio:
    Lately I’ve been consuming as much conservative media as possible (interspersed with shots of Pepto-Bismol) to get a better sense of the mind and mood of the right. My read: They’re apocalyptic. They feel isolated, angry, betrayed and besieged.
    Well, sure, though this is hardly unusual. A sense of besiegement has been the right's stock in trade for as long as I've been alive.

But there is something different about their tone these days, and I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is. My tentative take is that there's an inchoate quality to their fears that's new. In the past they were fighting against specific things: communism, hippies, Bill Clinton, Islamists, abortion, etc. But communism is dead, the hippies are grown up, Clinton is off doing good works in Africa, al-Qaeda is pretty quiet, and it's pretty obvious that the culture wars have been lost. They're doing their best to slot Obama into the old Clinton/Gore role, but he just doesn't fit and the media isn't playing along the way they did in the 90s. So they're stuck. Who, exactly, is their enemy these days?

I'm not sure they know themselves. But maybe that makes it worse. A nuclear-armed USSR may be scary, but at least it's something you can identify. These days that's a lot harder. Like a horror movie where you're surrounded on all sides by something you can never quite make out, I guess it seems to them like there's something horrible going on, but it's something so insidious that they're only allowed to catch occasional foggy glimpses of it. Budget deficits? Healthcare reform? Top marginal tax rates going back to 39.6%? Negotiations with Iran? Those aren't things that normally stir the blood. But what if they're really just stalking horses for something far more malign?

I dunno. Maybe that's the reason for the apocalyptic tone. The actual policies that liberals are pursuing aren't that big a deal even by right-wing standards, but if besiegement is your stock in trade then that only means there must be something else going on that you're not being allowed to see. Because there has to be something, doesn't there?
    Spot on.
    Last edited by chaboard; 04-04-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: added recommended reading
    "OMG - someone on the internet is WRONG!"

Charlie Board

Dharma is offline Verified Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General

Default Re: Enemy, Enemy, Whose Got An Enemy?

Quote Originally Posted by chaboard View Post
    Spot on.
    Spot on is correct. When driving across the country, this is what's mostly available to listeners who don't have satellite radio. The endless spouting of hate this verbiage is quite scary. There's something about this hate speech that a certain kind of person identifies with.

One tactic these folks pull is one I see here quite a bit from one poster. Blow points out Chuck Norris' comments: How much more will Americans take? When will enough be enough? And, when that time comes, will our leaders finally listen or will history need to record a second American Revolution?

Huh? Americans (most of us) voted for Obama and continue to support him (approval numbers are still high). The truth is that those of you who HATE our president simply because he has a "D" behind his name want to overturn the election.

So, when we have another Tim McVeigh styled terrorist attack, will the Michelle Bachmanns of this country will defend it as part of the revolution??

3-Star Forum General

And here we have our first taker to start the far right wing revolution!!

Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories

Well, he says Obama was going to take his guns away, and that's why he needed to kill 3 police officers on Saturday! What radio show do you think he listens to?

And we're supposed to wonder why the weak-minded act out violently after being told that Obama is a terrorist, out to destroy our country, and that the only solution is to rise up in a revolution against the enemy..........

From the AP:

A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns....

Poplawski had feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend....

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."
    Funny how nobody has said one word about this all weekend....
    Last edited by Dharma; 04-06-2009 at 11:05 AM. Reason: felt like it.

DarylB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma View Post
    And here we have our first taker to start the far right wing revolution!!

Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories

Well, he says Obama was going to take his guns away, and that's why he needed to kill 3 police officers on Saturday! What radio show do you think he listens to?

And we're supposed to wonder why the weak-minded act out violently after being told that Obama is a terrorist, out to destroy our country, and that the only solution is to rise up in a revolution against the enemy..........

From the AP:

A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.

Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns....

Poplawski had feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend....

Another longtime friend, Aaron Vire, said Poplawski feared that President Barack Obama was going to take away his rights, though he said he "wasn't violently against Obama."
    Funny how nobody has said one word about this all weekend....
    Please tell me you really don't want to go there... because that would be pretty stupid of you, considering!

Ayers and his co-authors freely brag about their bombings and other violent and illegal acts, and even provide a detailed list, most likely typed up by Ayers himself, of the crimes they had committed up to that point. Ayers’ list, scanned directly from Prairie Fire, is shown below. He may have escaped conviction due to a legal technicality (the prosecutors failed to get a warrant during some of their surveillance of the Weather Underground), but this in no way means that Ayers was factually innocent of the crimes. As has been widely reported, after the case against him was dropped, Ayers described himself as “guilty as hell, free as a bird.”

Just another question, seeing as I took a moment to read the Yahoo article you included..... saw where it says he was disturbed by the Obama administration, but it didn't say anywhere in the article that I saw any references at all to "Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Michele Bachmann, etc" as you claimied in your post. Did you have a reliable reference quoting the Pittsburgh PD on that, or did you just make that up and try to slip that one in ???? Certainly the article to which you've linked the bolded hyperlink doesn't say what you want it to, and that is patently dishonest blogging!!!! Please report your speculations as such, and try not attribute them to sources to which they do not belong.

What radio show do you think he listens to?
    Don't know, and neither do you.... nothing about his radio show listening habits has been reliably reported that I'm aware of....certainly not in the article you attached. Not that that would in any way make them guilty of anything. Please, do tell us though, of your readings of anger and resentment found and reposted so often by you from the DailyKos !!!! Who's got an enemy, Dharma? Seems you certainly do, and so by your reasoning you're one person we should watch and suspect for your left leaning listening habits, and your hatred of FOX news. And how exactly do you differ from George Bush and the Patriot Act if we are supposed to take from this that those who have certain patterns of viewership deserve to be watched and followed? Geeeshh
    Last edited by DarylB; 04-06-2009 at 12:06 PM.

3-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Just another question, seeing as I took a moment to read the Yahoo article you included..... saw where it says he was disturbed by the Obama administration, but it didn't say anywhere in the article that I saw any references at all to "Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Michele Bachmann, etc" as you claimied in your post.
    I'm not sure where you learned to read but the title says "Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories"

And AGAIN!
    Do you want these events to keep occuring Daryl? If it happens in Cary, the gunman isn't going to know you're a fringe rightie (like him) when he shoots random people around town.

DarylB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DarylB View Post
    Just another question, seeing as I took a moment to read the Yahoo article you included..... saw where it says he was disturbed by the Obama administration, but it didn't say anywhere in the article that I saw any references at all to "Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity, Michele Bachmann, etc" as you claimied in your post.
    I'm not sure where you learned to read but the title says "Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories"

And AGAIN!
    Do you want these events to keep occuring Daryl? If it happens in Cary, the gunman isn't going to know you're a fringe rightie (like him) when he shoots random people around town.
    Reading comprehension indeed! The article to which you've linked is titled "Gunman 'lying in wait' kills 3 Pittsburgh officers", and says nothing in the title about the individuals you hyperlinked. I even did a google search on "Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories" .... no hits! Try again, and please put the old IBM Selectric back on the shelf!

Here's your entire link ....

Gunman 'lying in wait' kills 3 Pittsburgh officers

• AP – Police walk up Fairfield Street in the Stanton Heights area of Pittsburgh where a gunman shot three police …

By RAMIT PLUSHNICK-MASTI and DAN NEPHIN, Associated Press Writers Ramit Plushnick-masti And Dan Nephin, Associated Press Writers – Sat Apr 4, 5:48 pm ET
    PITTSBURGH – A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest and "lying in wait" opened fire on officers responding to a domestic disturbance call Saturday, killing three of them and turning a quiet Pittsburgh street into a battlefield, police said.
    Police Chief Nate Harper said the motive for the shooting isn't clear, but friends said the gunman recently had been upset about losing his job and feared the Obama administration was poised to ban guns.
    Richard Poplawski, 23, met officers at the doorway and shot two of them in the head immediately, Harper said. An officer who tried to help the two also was killed.
    Poplawski, armed with an assault rifle and two other guns, then held police at bay for four hours as the fallen officers were left bleeding nearby, their colleagues unable to reach them, according to police and witnesses. More than 100 rounds were fired by the SWAT teams and Poplawski, Harper said.
    The three slain officers were Eric Kelly, Stephen Mayhle and Paul Sciullo III. Kelly had been on the force for 14 years, Mayhle and Sciullo for two years each. Another officer, Timothy McManaway, was shot in the hand and a fifth broke his leg on a fence.
    Poplawski had gunshot wounds in his legs but was otherwise unharmed because he was wearing a bulletproof vest, Harper said. He was charged with three counts of homicide, aggravated assault and a weapons violation.
    The shooting occurred just two weeks after four police officers were fatally shot in Oakland, Calif., in the deadliest day for U.S. law enforcement since Sept. 11, 2001. The officers were the first Pittsburgh city officers to die in the line of duty in 18 years.
    "This is a solemn day and it's a very sad day in the city of Pittsburgh," Harper said. "We've seen this kind of violence happen in California. We never would think this kind of violence would happen in the city of Pittsburgh."
    At 7 a.m., Sciullo and Mayhle responded to a 911 call from Poplawski's mother, who remained holed up in the basement during the entire dispute and escaped unharmed, Harper said.
    When they arrived at the home, Sciullo was immediately shot in the head. Mayhle, who was right behind him, was also shot in the head.
    "It appears he was lying in wait for the officers," Harper said.
    Kelly, who was on his way home after completing his overnight shift when he heard the call for help, rushed to the scene and was killed trying to help Sciullo and Mayhle, Harper said. SWAT teams and other officers arrived and were immediately fired on as well.
    Don Sand, who lives across the street from Poplawski, said he was woken up by the sound of gunfire. Hunkering down behind a wall in his home, he saw the first two officers go down and then saw Kelly get shot.
    "They couldn't get the scene secure enough to get to them. They were just lying there bleeding," Sand said. "By the time they secured the scene enough to get to them it was way too late."
    Deputy Chief Paul Donaldson, who lives nearby, was one of the first officers to arrive. He saw Mayhle by a bush to the right of the door; Kelly was in the street and McManaway, his hand injured, was kneeling beside him, yelling that Kelly needed help.
    Donaldson suggested using a police van to get them. They draped a bulletproof vest on the window to protect the driver and several officers got into the van to get Kelly and McManaway.
    During this time, Poplawski was somehow distracted, Donaldson said.

"We were fortunate that he didn't fire on us. I don't know why he was distracted, but he apparently didn't see us coming down to get them," he said. "It could have been worse."
    Poplawski had feared "the Obama gun ban that's on the way" and "didn't like our rights being infringed upon," said Edward Perkovic, his best friend.
    Perkovic, 22, said he got a call at work from him in which he said, "Eddie, I am going to die today. ... Tell your family I love them and I love you."
    Perkovic said: "I heard gunshots and he hung up. ... He sounded like he was in pain, like he got shot."
    Poplawski had once tried to join the Marines, but was kicked out of boot camp after throwing a food tray at a drill sergeant, Perkovic said.
    Vire, 23, said Poplawski once had an Internet talk show but that it wasn't successful. He said Poplawski owned an AK-47 rifle and several powerful handguns, including a .357 Magnum.
    Obama has said he respects Americans' constitutional right to bear arms, but that he favors "common sense" gun laws. Gun rights advocates interpret that as meaning he would approve some curbs on assault and concealed weapons.
    Poplawski had been laid off from his job at a glass factory earlier this year, said another friend, Joe DiMarco. DiMarco said he didn't know the name of the company, but knew his friend had been upset about it.
    The last Pittsburgh police officers killed in the line of duty were Officers Thomas L. Herron and Joseph J. Grill, according to a Web site that tracks police killings. They died after their patrol car collided with another vehicle while chasing a stolen car on March 6, 1991.
    In 1995, an off-duty officer was shot with his own gun after he confronted a group of teenagers about graffiti. Tests later showed the officer had been drinking.
    According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 133 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty in 2008, a 27 percent decrease from year before and the lowest annual total since 1960.
    Poplawski had often fought with neighbors and had even gotten into fist fights with a couple, Sand said.
    "This is a relatively really quiet neighborhood except for him," Sand said. "He was just one of those kids that we knew to stay clear from."
    Harper confirmed police had responded to calls from the Poplawski house several times but said the incidents were still being investigated.
    Rob Gift, 45, who lives a block away, said the well-kept single-family houses with manicured lawns are home to many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and other city workers. "It's just a very quiet neighborhood," Gift said.
    Last edited by DarylB; 04-06-2009 at 12:22 PM.

3-Star Forum General

Daryl,

I cannot believe I have to go here. Those are the things that the three mentioned have been saying. Please refer to the originating article. If you can't understand that, please go back to 5th grade.

chaboard is offline Verified Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Daryl,

I cannot believe I have to go here. Those are the things that the three mentioned have been saying. Please refer to the originating article. If you can't understand that, please go back to 5th grade.
    Now what did the poor 5th graders do to deserve THAT?
    "OMG - someone on the internet is WRONG!"

Charlie Board

DarylB Guest

Daryl,

Quote Originally Posted by Dharma
    ...the title says "Pittsburgh Cop Killer Obsessed with Glenn Beck, Michele Bachmann, Sean Hannity, Etc., Type Conspiracy Theories"....
    but the link, clearly displaying a different title copied verbatim from your link says...
    Quote Originally Posted by AP
    Gunman 'lying in wait' kills 3 Pittsburgh officers
    Forger!!!!

You hate FOX news so badly, you're willing to make things up, and falsely attribute them. There may be a link out there somewhere, or evidence that they listened, but you haven't found one, and to my degree of digging so far, no such evidence exists.

YOU CANNOT JUST MAKE UP YOUR OWN FACTS!!!!
    Last edited by DarylB; 04-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.

3-Star Forum General

Ya lost me Daryl. I PROVIDED YOU THE LINK.