Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: What do you remember about 9/11?

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Default Re: What do you remember about 9/11?

I want to be inspired but a decade later I'm not. I'm mostly just tired. Don't the thugs of the world have something better to do? I resent being the world's policeman. Kill or be killed, I'm dead inside either way.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

johnb is offline Verified 3-Star Forum General

Wow. Hard to believe I wrote that 7 years ago. Well, the daughter did her Guard time, did one deployment to Iraq as a medic. My son completed 4 years in the Marines with two deployments to Iraq and is now in the Army Reserve. The son in law, who was not in the picture back then, got off active duty with 2 to Iraq and 1 to Douchebagistan and is now in the Guard. I am in the Guard at this time as well. Over the past 7 years my wife has had a deployment flag (white with red border with a blue star for each family member deployed) with two stars on the door for several of those years.

What a time it has been.

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Eleven years later. I still wake up feeling a little depressed on this date.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

johnb is offline Verified 3-Star Forum General

Here it is, the eleventh anniversary of 9/11 and I am in the middle east, mobilized/deployed/crusty with sand.

My thoughts on 9/11 have evolved to the point where now I resent that we ever committed ourselves to military action against al Qaeda.

6,000 lives and trillions of dollars gone forever, for what?

The very people at ground zero, scratch that, all of New York State, are not now and never were in favor of a war response to these events. In 2004 they voted for a PoS who wore medals he did not earn and lied about his own service and that of US troops in the aggregate in Vietnam. Kerry was against the war before he was for it or was that reversed? He flopped and flipped with such frequency he could have had a career as a sex toy.

Ultimately, the Democrats used opposition to the war as a political litmus test/stunt. Where Wendell Wilkie refused to criticize FDR over the conduct of WW2, Kerry and the Donkeys did nothing but attack and denigrate George W. Bush over the war. So much for the dictate that politics stops as the shoreline.

Ultimately, the military fought a war on behalf of a place, NY, whose people did not support the war. That lack of support should have short circuited any and all military responses to 9/11. We know better now.

The anti-war protestors had a lot of slogans, they stopped protesting once O'Bama won the election in 2008 even though the wars roll on. "No war for oil", that was genius, in a world where genius means ignorant, puerile, and incapable of maturation. We should have been chanting "No war for New York". It is wrong to suggest or ask Red State soldiers to go to war on behalf of Blue States. 9/11 should have been handled as the Democrats wanted to handle it, as Clinton handled the first WTC bombing, as a police matter. Never again. Not another war for NY. The NYPD and the NYNG should have been the ones to manage the response. They could have had anyone they arrested charged and tried in a civilian court right there in NYC, it's what they wanted all along.
    Last edited by johnb; 09-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.