Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Cary - District "C"

Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    "Endorsement" and "asking me to run" are two very different statements.
    Maybe it was asking her if she intends to run - a different question entirely!
    Reading Catherine's posting, it not at all ambiguous as to what she is saying.
    I didn't say there was any ambiguity as to what she wrote, I meant that perhaps she was asked if she was going to run - which is different than asking her to run.

Wonder if there are any recordings of these conversations that will end up on You Tube anytime soon?

Chris Telesca

"The Mayor asked me to run" implies that Mayor Weinbrecht endorses the candidacy and has given his permission to have his name used in campaign materials and publicity.

In the absence of such permission, it would be wrong to imply that Mayor Weinbrecht endorses this candidacy.

I personally will be looking for either the Mayor or the Candidate to produce evidence that the Mayor has granted this permission. Lacking that, if I were the Mayor (I'm not), I would be quite upset that my name was dragged into this race.

chaboard is offline Verified Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    "Endorsement" and "asking me to run" are two very different statements.
    Maybe it was asking her if she intends to run - a different question entirely!
    Reading Catherine's posting, it not at all ambiguous as to what she is saying.

That's true. It's pretty unambiguous. But it's also kind of hard to reconcile with the Mayor's own statement on his blog. It's true as you pointed out Dave that "askng to run" and "endorsing" are not EXACTLY the same thing.....but one would generally consider the former to be STRONGER than the latter. It makes sense to endorse someone you wouldn't necessarily ask to run....but it's hard to see why he would ask her to run but not endorse her. Color me extremely skeptical till we hear it from the man himself.

Maybe we should ask Egghead. Or the Scandinavian diplomat. Or....<insert your favorite here>...
    "OMG - someone on the internet is WRONG!"

Charlie Board

More than once I have heard people (elected officials and others) make a comment like "If you don't like the job xxx [council or other body or individual] is doing you should run". I have also known of people (elected officials and others) ask someone to run because that person wanted the other person to have the office. There is a big difference, and we don't know which would more accurately describe this situation.

Perhaps the Mayor will make it clear. Until then we can only speculate.

Karen is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Executive Member

Seems to me not too much speculation is in order. Catherine states once in her original post that the mayor called to ask her to run. And in two subsquent posts reiterates this stating "He asked me several months ago...", and "He called to ask me...". Seems pretty straight forward to me. Catherine states that the mayor called her and asked her to run for District C. What am I missing here?

~karen

Last edited by Karen; 07-18-2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: added last sentence...just wondering out loud

I would be very interested in hearing the three candidates' ideas about growth:
    Are we growing too fast, too slowly, or just right?
    If not just right, what can or should or should not be done to change the rate of growth?

Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post
    "The Mayor asked me to run" implies that Mayor Weinbrecht endorses the candidacy and has given his permission to have his name used in campaign materials and publicity.

In the absence of such permission, it would be wrong to imply that Mayor Weinbrecht endorses this candidacy.

I personally will be looking for either the Mayor or the Candidate to produce evidence that the Mayor has granted this permission. Lacking that, if I were the Mayor (I'm not), I would be quite upset that my name was dragged into this race.
    I've heard from the Mayor directly and he is not endorsing anyone except Mayor Pro Tem Robison - if she requests such. He made it very clear - as was previously mentioned - that encouraging to someone to run if they felt passionate is ENTIRELY different than providing an official endorsement. I'd hate to see trumped up endorsement claims become front page news.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Seems to me not too much speculation is in order. Catherine states once in her original post that the mayor called to ask her to run. And in two subsquent posts reiterates this stating "He asked me several months ago...", and "He called to ask me...". Seems pretty straight forward to me. Catherine states that the mayor called her and asked her to run for District C. What am I missing here?

~karen

One wonders what the Mayor says - did he call her and ask her to run for District C? Or did he just ask her if she was running - maybe we can find out on "You Tube"?

CatherineE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by politico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Insider View Post

I've heard from the Mayor directly and he is not endorsing anyone except Mayor Pro Tem Robison - if she requests such. He made it very clear - as was previously mentioned - that encouraging to someone to run if they felt passionate is ENTIRELY different than providing an official endorsement. I'd hate to see trumped up endorsement claims become front page news.
    Hi folks,

What an interesting turn this thread has taken with all the negative "speculation" and rumor-mongering of trumped up claims.

Now that Don Hyatt (a.k.a. "Politico," "DHyatt" and my opponent Jack' campaign manager) has alluded to some nefarious scheme, let me be clear. Until Mayor Harold Weinbrecht called me, I had never indicated any personal interest in running for public office. I was happy to recruit good people to run like Gale Adcock. When the Mayor called to ask me to run for Dist. C, I told him I had never considered it and was both speechless and surprised but very honored by his request and said so.

The Mayor and I did not discuss endorsements back then. Recently the mayor blogged his decision on candidate endorsements before I could follow up with him on the matter. I respect and understand his position. I won't attempt to speak for our Mayor but I imagine it would not be beneficial to any collegial working relationship for a mayor to endorse an opponent of a fellow council member.

For the record, I've tried to find a candidate to run for District C as has democratic party county rep. Ruth Merkle who has posted on CP recently that her recruit declined to run. I waited until Friday's deadline to give others ample opportunity to file. When it looked as though a 5x incumbent would go unchallenged, I felt voters deserved to have a choice. I then learned during the filing process that my other opponent had filed less than an hour earlier - apparently seeking a rematch of the 2004 Dist. C election.

It is what it is, folks. Now, could we move on to campaign issues?

Thanks for the reminder to add a sig to my site admin id.

...and Jack doesn't have a campaign manager. He has a large team of committed individuals assisting him.
    Don Hyatt
    CP Site Admin ID