Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Cary - District "C"

d4vendel is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Re: Cary - District "C"

Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    And as far as the Cary Police having to "counsel" anyone - you have that wrong too. The Cary PD knows what a metaphor is - and they were practically apologizing for wasting my time.
    Verified.
    Let me clarify. I was not present when the police spoke with Mr. Telesca.

I have spoken with someone who was interviewed as part of this "investigation" and know for a fact that the investigators found no merit or cause for further action on the original complaint.

In summary:
    1. A complaint was made.
    2. The complaint was investigated.
    3. No action was taken against the party for which the complaint was made.

Not really much else to it.
    ==================================
    David Forvendel

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

CatherineE Guest

I have spoken with someone who was interviewed as part of this "investigation" and know for a fact that the investigators found no merit or cause for further action on the original complaint.

In summary:
    1. A complaint was made.

Dave, that's untrue. The officer investigated the threat after verifying with superiors the email threat was criminal in nature. The officer stated he issued a verbal warning to the man who made the threat and requested the CP owner to watch for future improper content in that individual's future postings. At least that's what Officer K told us.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post

In summary:
    1. A complaint was made.

Dave, that's untrue. The officer investigated the threat after verifying with superiors the email threat was criminal in nature. The officer stated he issued a verbal warning to the man who made the threat and requested the CP owner to watch for future improper content in that individual's future postings. At least that's what Officer K told us.
    Dave - it's not untrue. There is Catherine Evangelista claiming that someone said something when the other person (the officer) isn't here to give their side of the story.

My recollection was that the officer called me up on the phone and left a message for me to return his call. Does anyone really accept that the Cary PD or any other law-enforcement agency would only do stuff over the phone if there really was a criminal act they were investigating?

I called him back and we talked on the phone. The officer told me that he knew it wasn't a threat - that he understood what "figuratively" meant - he knew I was writing "metaphorically" so there was no verbal warning issued.

I explained the whole nature of the conflict and where it began. [sentence deleted by admin] I gave him the names of several real live persons [deleted] who could corroborate my side of the story. One of those persons was the Raleigh Police officer [who investigated a similar complaint last year. - rephrased by admin]

The officer and I did have a good laugh over the whole incident - and he learned what a "sock puppet" was.

So this is two complaints of alleged criminal activity that [were] filed [resulting in] - no criminal charges. Other complaints against members of the Wake County Democratic Party were found not to have merit by the NCDP Council of Review. [sentence deleted by admin]

I do hope that Ms. Evangelista's political opponent, the press, and Cary voters take the time to ask her about this [and form their own opinion].
    Last edited by VVActivist; 07-23-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: clarity
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

Thank you for the clarification, Chris.
    David Forvendel

"You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Karen is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Executive Member

Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    For all the candidates running for office:

Like most municipalities, the Town of Cary is in a budget crunch. I am sure current Council and staff have cut out most (all?) of the fat in the budget. With the economy still down, what are your top three budget priorities and how will the town pay for them?

Thank you - Matthew Danielson
    Catherine, will you be addressing this question? You have stated you'd like to stick to the issues and this has not yet been touched. As I had requested previously regarding John Shaw's question on growth, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

~karen

Last edited by Karen; 07-24-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: grammar

As far as I am concerned, I do not care who asked Catherine to run, or for that matter, who has endorsed her. Why should I? It is rather disturbing that this thread has 10 pages worth of accusations going back and forth. Imagine the possibilities if Don and Catherine had to serve together on CTC ?

I think Catherine has a hard road ahead of her because of who she is up against. I am not a big fan of Jack but he has considerable support in Cary and is a tough incumbent to unseat. He has served since 1989 (??). Obviously, he is doing something right.
    We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Icorpse View Post
    As far as I am concerned, I do not care who asked Catherine to run, or for that matter, who has endorsed her. Why should I? It is rather disturbing that this thread has 10 pages worth of accusations going back and forth. Imagine the possibilities if Don and Catherine had to serve together on CTC ?

I think Catherine has a hard road ahead of her because of who she is up against. I am not a big fan of Jack but he has considerable support in Cary and is a tough incumbent to unseat. He has served since 1989 (??). Obviously, he is doing something right.
    Some of us do care about the veracity/credibility of statements made by Catherine or any other candidate for office. Because if a candidate makes statements that are not true simply to get votes (sort of like padding your resume to get a job), how will you be able to trust what they tell you when they are in office?

One of the ways that you can measure the credibility of statements made by candidates - especially when they claim they have the support of a third-party or parties - is to ask for confirmation. If the statement can't be confirmed, or if the circumstances of the third-party support change over time, then the statements aren't as credible as they would be if the third-party person said "yeah - that is what I said/wrote".

There are certain elected officials who have made statements to me about positions they take that are just so ridiculous that I don't take them seriously anymore. Like the reasons for his support of the bankruptcy reform bill was because too many people were spending beyond their means on consumer goods when there was no proof this was the case. It was just a banking industry talking point. Studies by bankruptcy law professors indicate that 60% of bankruptcies are caused by loss of jobs/health care problems. He has never admitted that he takes the position that he takes because the banking industry contributes to his campaign, and he won't admit that he needs to fix the system and restore a healthy balance.
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post

Catherine,

John Shaw posted a question regarding growth in this thread. I would very much like your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks,
    ~karen

Catherine, it was a few posts ago, but there's your opportunity to move on. Several of us are interested in a reply to this question about growth. I am in District C, and I would like to hear from you on this.
    Belle, thank you for the reminder. I will be responding on the growth question as soon as I finish a little more research here in Cary. Once I've got all my facts in order I will definitely be responding to the question in detail. Hope you'll bear with me. Stay tuned.
    Hi Catherine-
    It looks like several things are settling down here, certainly a thread with divergent interests here; many of us are still interested in hearing the response you promised above. I believe it would be on-topic.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Belle; 07-24-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Punctuation gone awry
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. ~Will Rogers
    Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abe Lincoln

Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

Catherine,

After the growth question, I would like to hear your thoughts on the budget just approved by the Council. You seemed somewhat critical of it at the time. What would you have done differently? Different cuts? Revenue enhancement?
    David Forvendel

Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Icorpse View Post

Some of us do care about the veracity/credibility of statements made by Catherine or any other candidate for office. Because if a candidate makes statements that are not true simply to get votes (sort of like padding your resume to get a job), how will you be able to trust what they tell you when they are in office?

One of the ways that you can measure the credibility of statements made by candidates - especially when they claim they have the support of a third-party or parties - is to ask for confirmation. If the statement can't be confirmed, or if the circumstances of the third-party support change over time, then the statements aren't as credible as they would be if the third-party person said "yeah - that is what I said/wrote".

There are certain elected officials who have made statements to me about positions they take that are just so ridiculous that I don't take them seriously anymore. Like the reasons for his support of the bankruptcy reform bill was because too many people were spending beyond their means on consumer goods when there was no proof this was the case. It was just a banking industry talking point. Studies by bankruptcy law professors indicate that 60% of bankruptcies are caused by loss of jobs/health care problems. He has never admitted that he takes the position that he takes because the banking industry contributes to his campaign, and he won't admit that he needs to fix the system and restore a healthy balance.
    That leaves the other 40% of folks that go bankrupt because they spend too much and the story can be told in two different ways. Similarly, how many times have you been told to run for office casually by someone? A simple statement along those lines could be spun to advantage and politics is all about that. I am neither defending Catherine nor demonizing her. I just think that our pols waste too much time and resources on issues that are not relevant to our core causes. Ten pages of back-and-forth on the issue is enough. Maybe, Dave or Hyatt should send HW a private message to find out the truth and then post it here.

Anyway, props to anyone that uses a Bruce Lee-related tag-line. Well done...seriously.
    We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Sir Winston Churchill