Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Cary - District "C"

Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

Quote Originally Posted by Icorpse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VVActivist View Post
    As far as I am concerned, I do not care who asked Catherine to run, or for that matter, who has endorsed her. Why should I? It is rather disturbing that this thread has 10 pages worth of accusations going back and forth. Imagine the possibilities if Don and Catherine had to serve together on CTC ?

I think Catherine has a hard road ahead of her because of who she is up against. I am not a big fan of Jack but he has considerable support in Cary and is a tough incumbent to unseat. He has served since 1989 (??). Obviously, he is doing something right.
    Some of us do care about the veracity/credibility of statements made by Catherine or any other candidate for office. Because if a candidate makes statements that are not true simply to get votes (sort of like padding your resume to get a job), how will you be able to trust what they tell you when they are in office?

One of the ways that you can measure the credibility of statements made by candidates - especially when they claim they have the support of a third-party or parties - is to ask for confirmation. If the statement can't be confirmed, or if the circumstances of the third-party support change over time, then the statements aren't as credible as they would be if the third-party person said "yeah - that is what I said/wrote".

There are certain elected officials who have made statements to me about positions they take that are just so ridiculous that I don't take them seriously anymore. Like the reasons for his support of the bankruptcy reform bill was because too many people were spending beyond their means on consumer goods when there was no proof this was the case. It was just a banking industry talking point. Studies by bankruptcy law professors indicate that 60% of bankruptcies are caused by loss of jobs/health care problems. He has never admitted that he takes the position that he takes because the banking industry contributes to his campaign, and he won't admit that he needs to fix the system and restore a healthy balance.
    That leaves the other 40% of folks that go bankrupt because they spend too much and the story can be told in two different ways. Similarly, how many times have you been told to run for office casually by someone? A simple statement along those lines could be spun to advantage and politics is all about that. I am neither defending Catherine nor demonizing her. I just think that our pols waste too much time and resources on issues that are not relevant to our core causes. Ten pages of back-and-forth on the issue is enough. Maybe, Dave or Hyatt should send HW a private message to find out the truth and then post it here.

Anyway, props to anyone that uses a Bruce Lee-related tag-line. Well done...seriously.
    Response in this order:

Thanks for the props on the tag line. I have many others equally as well-done.

On bankruptcy - You can't say that 40% of bankruptcies result from people spending their money on crap because 60% of bankruptcies are due to loss of jobs and health care bills. I will post a link to the study and get back to you on this.

But getting back to why someone runs.....yes I think that HW should weigh in on this. I think probably that after the last local elections in 2007, HW may have asked Catherine to run for office the next time around based on the work she did on the 2007 campaigns. Makes perfect sense.

For example, I was calling local elected officials in the county a few years ago, and Betty Lou Ward asked me if I ever thought about running for public office, because of the need to develop fresh talent to run to be public servants. I guess she felt that the work I had done for the Wake Dems meant that I might be interested in running for office.

Back to Catherine. Based on her work on the 2007 campaigns, I imagine she was asked to run for office someday. That is probably how she got her gig with the ToC Economic Development Commission AND her recommendations to attend the IOPL from her work on the campaign. It makes sense to develop political talent.

But lots of things have happened since late 2007, and I sort of doubt that HW would ask Catherine to run for any Cary office at this time. Perhaps he was asked if he thought she should run, and perhaps he told her she should make peace with the Wake Dems before running for office and expecting them to support her. I think HW has too much good sense to have asked her to run anytime recently.

There is a big difference between claiming HW called her and asked her to run recently, and HW having asked her to run back in late 2007 or early 2008. The big difference is everything else that has taken place since then. To claim that it doesn't matter when she was asked or how she was asked just doesn't make sense.
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

Chris --

Fair enough. I think we both recognize that politicians do well to surround themselves with images and mirrors. For me personally, balancing the budget over the next 2-3 years while maintaining the quality of life that we have come to enjoy in Cary is the biggest issue. I'd love to hear on that subject from the candidates that are running this year.
    We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

Chris --

Fair enough. I think we both recognize that politicians do well to surround themselves with images and mirrors. For me personally, balancing the budget over the next 2-3 years while maintaining the quality of life that we have come to enjoy in Cary is the biggest issue. I'd love to hear on that subject from the candidates that are running this year.
    Yes - and although I live in Raleigh and not in Cary, I too would like to hear on that and other subjects from the candidates.

Jack has a record to run on, and I am sure he will weigh in on his ideas for the future of Cary.

Catherine also as a record (of sorts) to run on and it should be interesting to hear her views for the future of Cary. I know she has been asked to answer a few questions, and she has not done so. Which makes me wonder - why run if you don't already have answers for these questions?
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

WHERE IS CATHERINE? IS SHE WITH WALDO?

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by C. Daily View Post
    That is a good question. Perhaps Candidate Evangelista is trying to craft a platform to run on. Which is something you think Citizen Evangelista would have done in the months (or is it years) since Mayor Weinbrecht asked her to run?

I bet that's one phone call or question Mayor Weinbrecht wishes he could take back!

Red face Re: Cary - Distict "C"

That is a good question. Perhaps Candidate Evangelista is trying to craft a platform to run on. Which is something you think Citizen Evangelista would have done in the months (or is it years) since Mayor Weinbrecht asked her to run?

I bet that's one phone call or question Mayor Weinbrecht wishes he could take back!

To quote that other lady from Alaska, "You betcha"! Or was it, "Hell Yeah"???

Quote Originally Posted by ncary42long View Post

Maybe it was: "DON'T TOUCH ME!"?

Quote Originally Posted by ncary42long View Post

Maybe it was: "DON'T TOUCH ME!"?
    I am really curious. Many Cary voters have asked for some sort of policy or platform statement from Candidate Evangelista. She has promised Cary voters some sort of answer, but she has not posted since 07-22-2009.

Even though she had months (or maybe a year or more) since Mayor Weinbrecht had some conversation with her (asking her to run, or asking her if she was going to run), you would think she would have some idea of why voters should vote for her. What is her message?

But there is still no platform, nor any response to the questions of voters. Is that any way to run a campaign?

Many questions have been asked. A few are:

Several of us are interested in a reply to this question about growth. I am in District C, and I would like to hear from you on this.

After the growth question, I would like to hear your thoughts on the budget just approved by the Council. You seemed somewhat critical of it at the time. What would you have done differently? Different cuts? Revenue enhancement?

Catherine Evangelista promised an explanation about why she was removed from elected office as the Cary vice chair. We are still waiting for her explanation. Has Wake county party or the state party stated why they removed her?

Daryl, you're right. I apologize for overlooking those people who live outside Cary Proper but who are affected and impacted by Cary's local government. I'd like to amend my earlier statement so as to not disenfranchise anyone. I would hope that those people who are governed by Cary's Town Council now -- and in the future -- be given priority to speak first and allow those from other towns to speak should time be available. Do you know where these people are now?

When do you think the questions will be answered?

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

Many questions have been asked. A few are:

Several of us are interested in a reply to this question about growth. I am in District C, and I would like to hear from you on this.

After the growth question, I would like to hear your thoughts on the budget just approved by the Council. You seemed somewhat critical of it at the time. What would you have done differently? Different cuts? Revenue enhancement?

Catherine Evangelista promised an explanation about why she was removed from elected office as the Cary vice chair. We are still waiting for her explanation. Has Wake county party or the state party stated why they removed her?

Daryl, you're right. I apologize for overlooking those people who live outside Cary Proper but who are affected and impacted by Cary's local government. I'd like to amend my earlier statement so as to not disenfranchise anyone. I would hope that those people who are governed by Cary's Town Council now -- and in the future -- be given priority to speak first and allow those from other towns to speak should time be available. Do you know where these people are now?

When do you think the questions will be answered?
    Yes - it has been almost a month since the filing period closed. We were promised answers to the questions asked of Candidate Evangelista, but so far no answers have been provided. In fact, the candidate hasn't posted on here for weeks! Wonder what's going on - perhaps she feels "out of sight, out of mind"?

Isn't that a strange thing for a candidate to do - avoid attention?

I share CDaily's feelings that people outside of Cary are affected and impacted by Cary's local government - and not always in a good way.