Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Cary - District "C"

Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

A rumor is going around that she is going to drop out of the race because she needs back surgery. Maybe that is why she has not been around. Have not been able to confirm or deny the rumor. Rather have back surgery than to get slaughtered in an election.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by C. Daily View Post
    A rumor is going around that she is going to drop out of the race because she needs back surgery. Maybe that is why she has not been around. Have not been able to confirm or deny the rumor. Rather have back surgery than to get slaughtered in an election.
    ^^

Be nice!!! Ouch!!
    We occasionally stumble over the truth but most of us pick ourselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Sir Winston Churchill

In Cary, Julie Robison, running at-large, and Jack Smith, running in District C, won the group’s backing — they’re both incumbents. In District A, it was another no-endorsement call: Neither Jennifer Robinson, the incumbent, nor any of her trio of challengers (Lori Bush, Cynthia Sinkez, Terry Thorne) earned its favor. The club endorsed Jack Smith in the 2005 election and were sticking with him according to Ed Clayton, Chair of the political endorsement committee.
    Last edited by C. Daily; 09-02-2009 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Correction noted by reader

Quote Originally Posted by C. Daily View Post
    The Sierra Club’s has made their endorsements for the Cary elections. In the District C race, the Club endorsed nobody — not incumbent James West, not challenger Charles Reisinger. In Cary, Julie Robison, running at-large, and Jack Smith, running in District C, won the group’s backing — they’re both incumbents. In District A, it was another no-endorsement call: Neither Jennifer Robinson, the incumbent, nor any of her trio of challengers (Lori Bush, Cynthia Sinkez, Terry Thorne) earned its favor. The club endorsed Jack Smith in the 2005 election and were sticking with him according to Ed Clayton, Chair of the political endorsement committee.
    Charlie - I think you are getting your Raleigh and Cary Districts mixed up. West and Reisinger are running in Raleigh - not Cary.

I did read that Cary District C candidate Evangelista is claiming that the Sierra Club never contacted her for an interview, and then later claimed they had no time to deal with her.
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

Duly noted and stand corrected.

The Sierra Club endorsements are out in the Raleigh and Cary elections. In Cary, Julie Robison, running at-large, and Jack Smith, running in District C, won the group’s backing — they’re both incumbents. In District A, it was another no-endorsement call: Neither Jennifer Robinson, the incumbent, nor any of her trio of challengers (Lori Bush, Cynthia Sinkez, Terry Thorne) earned its favor. The club endorsed Jack Smith in the 2005 election and were sticking with him according to Ed Clayton, Chair of the political endorsement committee.
    Last edited by C. Daily; 09-02-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: forgot Sierra Club

CatherineE Guest

Default Truth Update: Sierra Club

Have read through this thread, it's nice to know I've been missed. Thought I'd take a moment to log in and shed light on the Sierra Club's recent local endorsements.

For what it is worth, the local Sierra Club chapter did in fact refuse to interview and consider me for their endorsement in the Cary Town Council Dist. C race. I contacted and spoke with both Greg Lytle and Ed Clayton about the matter and was told they did not have time to interview all candidates in all races and I would not be interviewed. There was a distinctly uncomfortable vibe in those two conversations.

I have no idea if Jack Smith was ever actually interviewed recently by the Capital Group chapter but I can confirm I was not interviewed. Endorsing one candidate while ignoring the other certainly appears to be an intentional effort to mislead voters into believing one is a strong environmental advocate and the other isn't.

I consider this intentional and unethical maneuver to be an affront to Cary voters given Jack's record as a pro-growth advocate during whose tenure rampant growth has had a negative environmental impact (for example, polluting our drinking water source, Jordan Lake). "Gifting" an endorsement to one candidate while denying the opportunity to challengers to interview for the endorsement is both disingenuous and unethical.

I had always valued the Sierra Club's local endorsements but can no longer believe in them as they've proven to be fake.

(By the way, Dave Forvendel, Don Hyatt et. al moderators, a supporters notified me she is unable to post here on CP because she's stuck in limbo awaiting moderator verification. Does it usually take a week to be approved or is it just because they don't support your candidate? Curious.)

Default Re: Truth Update: Sierra Club

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Have read through this thread, it's nice to know I've been missed. Thought I'd take a moment to log in and shed light on the Sierra Club's recent local endorsements.

For what it is worth, the local Sierra Club chapter did in fact refuse to interview and consider me for their endorsement in the Cary Town Council Dist. C race. I contacted and spoke with both Greg Lytle and Ed Clayton about the matter and was told they did not have time to interview all candidates in all races and I would not be interviewed. There was a distinctly uncomfortable vibe in those two conversations.

I have no idea if Jack Smith was ever actually interviewed recently by the Capital Group chapter but I can confirm I was not interviewed. Endorsing one candidate while ignoring the other certainly appears to be an intentional effort to mislead voters into believing one is a strong environmental advocate and the other isn't.

I consider this intentional and unethical maneuver to be an affront to Cary voters given Jack's record as a pro-growth advocate during whose tenure rampant growth has had a negative environmental impact (for example, polluting our drinking water source, Jordan Lake). "Gifting" an endorsement to one candidate while denying the opportunity to challengers to interview for the endorsement is both disingenuous and unethical.

I had always valued the Sierra Club's local endorsements but can no longer believe in them as they've proven to be fake.

(By the way, Dave Forvendel, Don Hyatt et. al moderators, a supporters notified me she is unable to post here on CP because she's stuck in limbo awaiting moderator verification. Does it usually take a week to be approved or is it just because they don't support your candidate? Curious.)
    "missed" isn't the word I would use.....

Just curious who the supporter is - PaulVB/JCL by any chance? How would DaveF and DonH know this person supported you or not?

I am sure Cary voters are still waiting for your platform and to see your website.
    Last edited by VVActivist; 09-03-2009 at 01:21 PM. Reason: clarity and I am dying to know who is coming out as PaulVB!
    Chris Telesca - here is my sig: "I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare already to challenge our government in a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country." -- Thomas Jefferson

While Ms Evangelista may have a valid complaint about not at least being interviewed, her characterization of Jack Smith as part of a problem seems off base.

Many positive efforts to address the Jordan Lake watershed have been initiated & implemented during Jack Smith’s tenure, and he has championed local environmental issues to protect the land an citizens in District C. For example, he should receive props for acquisition of park space in the highly commercial Walnut Street corridor to prevent development along the Lawrence Road intersection, major storm water and drainage improvements in Pirates Cove, Williamsburg Commons and Lochmere, just to name a few.

As a resident of District C, I appreciate the Sierra Club’s willingness to make an endorsement acknowledging Jack’s achievements, and I believe that interview or not, they have done their homework in supporting Jack Smith.
    Last edited by Belle; 09-02-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: tweakage
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. ~Will Rogers
    Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abe Lincoln

MattD is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General

"Gifting" an endorsement to one candidate while denying the opportunity to challengers to interview for the endorsement is both disingenuous and unethical.
    Catherine - I'm with you on this... I would be ticked off if I was seeking an endorsement from a group and they wouldn't even interview me. I would suggest you consider sending a LTE to both N&O and Cary News. The Sierra Club would have to respond/answer to this claim that they wouldn't interview a political candidate seeking their endorsement.
    Matt Danielson

"Wisdom trumps fear" - Matthew Danielson

"Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

CatherineE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    "Gifting" an endorsement to one candidate while denying the opportunity to challengers to interview for the endorsement is both disingenuous and unethical.
    Catherine - I'm with you on this... I would be ticked off if I was seeking an endorsement from a group and they wouldn't even interview me. I would suggest you consider sending a LTE to both N&O and Cary News. The Sierra Club would have to respond/answer to this claim that they wouldn't interview a political candidate seeking their endorsement.
    Thanks, Matt. Hypocrisy and omission should tick off everyone. Letters have already been sent so we'll wait and see what happens.