Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 369

Thread: Cary - District "C"

  1. #51
    d4vendel's Avatar
    d4vendel is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Silverton
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    According to the Wake County Board of Elections, since he ballots have not yet been printed, John Harvilla's name will not appear on the October ballot. At least that means we avoid another "Wally Dawson."
    ==================================
    David Forvendel

    "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

    Opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

  2. #52
    Brent's Avatar
    Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,636

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Now how long has Julie been on council again? What administration does she get credit for? And why are Jennifer and Jack part of it but Julie isn't? Or are Jennifer and Julie good but Jack bad? It wasn't clear. Is Marla to blame also? What about Mike?
    I blame Frank Page.

    I blame Brent Miller
    Get in line.
    - Brent Miller

    "The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

  3. #53
    Brent's Avatar
    Brent is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    3-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,636

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    State something like:
    "While quality growth is important, we cannot afford to go back to the days when Ernie McAllister and Michael Joyce (sorry Mike!!) slashed permit fees. Thankfully, with the election of Mayor Weinbrecht, Erv Portman and Gail Adcock, working hard with Julie Robison, we can bring Cary back to the common sense days of quality growth." (this could be much better - it was just off the top of my head)
    C'mon, Matt, we can do better than that.

    “We want to be the world-class provider of unparalleled growth excellence, delighting our citizens with stellar six-sigma quality and world-class excellent quality, not to mention quality excellence that is world-class. Also 24/7, open, transparent, solution-oriented, dynamic, sustainable, green and innovative. With quality and excellence.”

    And now, back to the candidates.
    - Brent Miller

    "The job of a citizen is to keep his mouth open" -- Gunter Grass

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    State something like:
    "While quality growth is important, we cannot afford to go back to the days when Ernie McAllister and Michael Joyce (sorry Mike!!) slashed permit fees. Thankfully, with the election of Mayor Weinbrecht, Erv Portman and Gail Adcock, working hard with Julie Robison, we can bring Cary back to the common sense days of quality growth." (this could be much better - it was just off the top of my head)
    C'mon, Matt, we can do better than that.

    “We want to be the world-class provider of unparalleled growth excellence, delighting our citizens with stellar six-sigma quality and world-class excellent quality, not to mention quality excellence that is world-class. Also 24/7, open, transparent, solution-oriented, dynamic, sustainable, green and innovative. With quality and excellence.”

    And now, back to the candidates.
    I like it. So, yes, back to the candidates you call us.

    Well, I probably would have used the singular form of that word. Jack Smith
    John is out, and so far, here in CP land without even stepping onto the big stage, we have seen the other candidate:

    -Use the mayor's name without his permission to make a claim that remains unverified - that he recruited her to run against a fellow council member. A claim that seems especially doubtful considering she waited until there was a second republican in the race to make her filing. If the mayor really did recruit her, why wait until 11:30 on the last day of filing?

    -Employed sarcasm with a voter because he said something she didn't like, and assumed she had his vote in a NON partisan race simply because she has a D behind her name.

    -Urged all of us to focus on issues, only then to say "I'll get back to you" when actually asked about the most predictable one of all Cary issues, growth

    -claimed she had no interest in running, yet spent beaucoups of her time and money to attend IOPL in advance of her "surprise" run

    -does not have the support of her own party, or any other party


    In Jack we have a council representative who can work with people in both parties, who can be trusted at his word, who is even-tempered, experienced, fully up to speed on issues in Cary, and puts the interests of citizens ahead of all.
    Last edited by Belle; 07-21-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Tweakishness and curiosity
    **********************************
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. ~Will Rogers
    Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abe Lincoln

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    According to the Wake County Board of Elections, since he ballots have not yet been printed, John Harvilla's name will not appear on the October ballot. At least that means we avoid another "Wally Dawson."
    Who was Wally Dawson?
    **********************************
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. ~Will Rogers
    Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abe Lincoln

  6. #56
    MattD is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,881

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    According to the Wake County Board of Elections, since he ballots have not yet been printed, John Harvilla's name will not appear on the October ballot. At least that means we avoid another "Wally Dawson."
    Who was Wally Dawson?
    In 2003 there were 3 people running for Cary-At Large. Those three were Harold Weinbrecht (incumbent), Michael Joyce and Wally Dawson.

    Wally decided to drop out of the race, however, his name remained on the ballot (there is dispute to whether or not he purposely waited to drop out until it was too late for his name to be removed from the ballot).

    Weinbrecht won the three-way race, but not with 50%. Michael Joyce won the runoff. Many people feel Weinbrecht would have won had Wally's name not been on the ballot.

    2003 Oct. election results:
    Harold: 7,371 votes (48%)
    Michael: 7,149 votes (46.56%)
    Wally: 745 votes (4.85%)
    Write-in: 91 votes (.59)

    2003 Nov run-off results:
    Michael: 8,110 votes (52.35%)
    Harold: 7,341 votes (47.39%)
    Write-in: 41 votes (.26%)

    Worth noting: Many Glen Lang supporters did not vote in the run-off. This cost Harold several hundreds (thousands?) of votes.
    Last edited by MattD; 07-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    Matt Danielson

    "Wisdom trumps fear" - Matthew Danielson

    "Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy

  7. #57
    CatherineE Guest

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Don F., how/ when was I critical of Julie? Please refresh my memory.
    from here: http://carypolitics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4132

    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Cary's previous administration refused to recognize Cary's growth rate was nearly double what was "self-reported." This refusal to see the town's true growth trajectory resulted in the previous administration's inability to properly address the increasing demand on existing infrastructure and the required budget increases needed to address the new infrastructure costs that come with a rapidly expanding population.
    Don Frantz, seriously? I'm embarrassed for you. You throw up a sleazy accusation that I'm critical of Council member Julie Robison and this is your proof? I am very pleased with Julie Robison's fine work on the town council and am proud she's our Mayor Pro Tem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Obviously, Cary has changed tremendously over the past 20-30 years. Change can be for the better. We saw that proven in our last mayoral election. So I have to ask why anyone would push to keep the status quo when the municipality's filing period for new candidates is still a week away. There's no need to fear change.
    Now how long has Julie been on council again? What administration does she get credit for? And why are Jennifer and Jack part of it but Julie isn't? Or are Jennifer and Julie good but Jack bad? It wasn't clear. Is Marla to blame also? What about Mike?
    I prefer to check the individual council members' voting records. You might try it, too. It'll help you to answer your own questions.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    According to the Wake County Board of Elections, since he ballots have not yet been printed, John Harvilla's name will not appear on the October ballot. At least that means we avoid another "Wally Dawson."
    Who was Wally Dawson?
    In 2003 there were 3 people running for Cary-At Large. Those three were Harold Weinbrecht (incumbent), Michael Joyce and Wally Dawson.

    Wally decided to drop out of the race, however, his name remained on the ballot (there is dispute to whether or not he purposely waited to drop out until it was too late for his name to be removed from the ballot).

    Weinbrecht won the three-way race, but not with 50%. Michael Joyce won the runoff. Many people feel Weinbrecht would have won had Wally's name not been on the ballot.

    2003 Oct. election results:
    Harold: 7,371 votes (48%)
    Michael: 7,149 votes (46.56%)
    Wally: 745 votes (4.85%)
    Write-in: 91 votes (.59)

    2003 Nov run-off results:
    Michael: 8,110 votes (52.35%)
    Harold: 7,341 votes (47.39%)
    Write-in: 41 votes (.26%)

    Worth noting: Many Glen Lang supporters did not vote in the run-off. This cost Harold several hundreds (thousands?) of votes.

    Thanks Dave and Matt!!!
    **********************************
    Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for. ~Will Rogers
    Whatever you are, be a good one. -Abe Lincoln

  9. #59
    Don's Avatar
    Don is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Why do you need to know?
    Posts
    1,621

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Don F., how/ when was I critical of Julie? Please refresh my memory.
    from here: http://carypolitics.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4132

    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Cary's previous administration refused to recognize Cary's growth rate was nearly double what was "self-reported." This refusal to see the town's true growth trajectory resulted in the previous administration's inability to properly address the increasing demand on existing infrastructure and the required budget increases needed to address the new infrastructure costs that come with a rapidly expanding population.
    Don Frantz, seriously? I'm embarrassed for you. You throw up a sleazy accusation that I'm critical of Council member Julie Robison and this is your proof? I am very pleased with Julie Robison's fine work on the town council and am proud she's our Mayor Pro Tem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Obviously, Cary has changed tremendously over the past 20-30 years. Change can be for the better. We saw that proven in our last mayoral election. So I have to ask why anyone would push to keep the status quo when the municipality's filing period for new candidates is still a week away. There's no need to fear change.
    Now how long has Julie been on council again? What administration does she get credit for? And why are Jennifer and Jack part of it but Julie isn't? Or are Jennifer and Julie good but Jack bad? It wasn't clear. Is Marla to blame also? What about Mike?
    I prefer to check the individual council members' voting records. You might try it, too. It'll help you to answer your own questions.
    Then you might want to be a little more specific the next time you are critical of "council" or an "administration". As a candidate for public office your words will be scrutinized and may even be used against you. You do however have the right to remain silent.
    Don

  10. #60
    CatherineE Guest

    Default Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle View Post
    And now, back to the candidates.

    I like it. So, yes, back to the candidates you call us.

    Well, I probably would have used the singular form of that word. Jack Smith
    John is out, and so far, here in CP land without even stepping onto the big stage, we have seen the other candidate:

    -Use the mayor's name without his permission to make a claim that remains unverified - that he recruited her to run against a fellow council member. A claim that seems especially doubtful considering she waited until there was a second republican in the race to make her filing. If the mayor really did recruit her, why wait until 11:30 on the last day of filing?

    -Employed sarcasm with a voter because he said something she didn't like, and assumed she had his vote in a NON partisan race simply because she has a D behind her name.

    -Urged all of us to focus on issues, only then to say "I'll get back to you" when actually asked about the most predictable one of all Cary issues, growth

    -claimed she had no interest in running, yet spent beaucoups of her time and money to attend IOPL in advance of her "surprise" run

    -does not have the support of her own party, or any other party


    In Jack we have a council representative who can work with people in both parties, who can be trusted at his word, who is even-tempered, experienced, fully up to speed on issues in Cary, and puts the interests of citizens ahead of all.

    Belle:
    1. Why don't you call the mayor to verify instead of making an allegation? The mayor called me yesterday and said several others have called him about asking me to run and those same folks have neglected to mention his response. If you do/did call him, please let us know what he tells you.
    2. Why did I wait to file? I already answered that on CP. What was John Harvilla's reason for filing two hours before the deadline? Did you post that info yet?
    3. You missed my point to Matt who usually posts insightful information instead of stating the obvious. BTW, MattD lives in Dist. A. I'm running in Dist. C.
    4. I did make my position on growth clear and promised to provide more details soon given the campaign has just started. How is that a problem?
    5. You're quite wrong. I haven't spent "beaucoups" of money on running. The NC IOPL is a fellowship funded by a grant and costing the fellows nothing but discounted hotel stay on some weekends. If you're a political junkie and enjoy working on campaigns, there is no better opportunity to learn how campaigns operate.
    6. I believe you've confused not having the support of some democrats who enjoy stalking me with the actual democratic party. I hadn't thought to ask for the local party's support given this is a nonpartisan race. The WCDP typically does not focus on municipality races when there are countywide races at hand like the WC school board elections.

    But, Belle, we do agree on one thing: Jack is a very nice man who's given years of his time and service to Cary. I haven't always agreed with his decisions but I intend to campaign on the issues and not on personal attacks. I hope to see partisan politics take a back seat in this election so that we may focus on the needs of Cary residents first.

    I haven't spoken to John Harvilla yet but hope he and his family can get through whatever issue has caused him to drop out of the race.
    Last edited by CatherineE; 07-21-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Cary Growth Slows
    By JoeCiulla in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
  2. Cary Budget FY 2010
    By Brent in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
  3. Cary Announces New Tax Rate of $0.33
    By dhyatt in forum Town of Cary PSAs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 11:18 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 01:54 AM
  5. Is there a 21st Century in store for Cary planning?
    By DarylB in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 12:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •