Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Comment from the Mayor

  1. #1
    d4vendel's Avatar
    d4vendel is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Silverton
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Comment from the Mayor

    Received from Mayor Weinbrecht via email this morning...

    As your Mayor I believe it is important to encourage citizens interested in seeking leadership opportunities with the Town. When I talked with Ms. Evangelista about an elected position, I shared the same information with her that I have shared with other interested individuals. This discussion was not intended by me to be interpreted as an endorsement. I regret if it was perceived as such.
    Other emails Harold and I have exchanged make it clear that he never called Catherine and "asked her to run." In fact, Harold has said that he does not want his name used in her campaign, yet the same exaggerated line continues to be repeated by the candidate every chance she gets.

    Although repeatedly challenged to do so, I did not post previous emails as I thought a statement from Harold would be more appropriate than the usual "he said / she said" we typically see here on CP.

    Since the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, I am now comfortable sharing comments sent to me by the Mayor in previous emails. Also, in an email received yesterday, the Mayor said:

    I sent an email explaining my position and basically provided a quote over a month ago.
    It is my fault for not understanding that the Mayor was providing quotes at the time as we were not emailing using his Town of Cary address.

    Here is what the Mayor had to say in July of this year when the whole "the Mayor asked me to run" thing started.

    I believe the last time we talked was several weeks ago and maybe a couple of months ago. I really canít remember the last time we talked. I think she did call a few weeks ago and ask for an endorsement if she ran and I said I wasnít going to endorse any race but Julieís race. I may have received a call during the week of my motherís death but I received dozens of calls and donít recall. I wasnít really in a good state of mind to comprehend much of what anyone was saying anyway. So as far as I know she really hadnít contacted me since then except for voice mails that were left this week and now I have an email from her.

    It was my impression that she was not going to run. When I talked with Jack the week of the filing I told him I believed he would be unopposed. I was surprised to she her file. I REALLY do not want to get involved and definitely donít have time for a he said she said episode.
    Please note that Harold did not call Catherine and ask her to run. She called him and asked for an endorsement which he did not give. By his own words, Harold was surprised to see her file.

    Did they at some point in the past have a conversation about elections and what it take to be a candidate? Yes.

    Was there anything special about the conversation that the Mayor would not have with any citizen? No.

    Did Mayor Weinbrecht specifically call and ask Ms. Evangelista to run? No.

    Also from a July 18th email

    Regarding the race in District C:
    I have known Jack for many years and consider him a friend. I think he represents the older constituents in District C well. I have told him I will not endorse anyone in his race.
    I have known Catherine for a few years and also consider her a friend. I did talk with her several months ago about issues she was having in the party, and yes about the possibility of running for office (BTW, I have told Jack this and we talked on the phone a few minutes ago). However, I have not given her permission to use my name in any of her campaign material or any press releases. It is my intention not to be involved in this race. I am disappointed that somehow I am being used in this race. It appears this race will not be pleasant. There are two candidates from one party. One of which was put up by a group within the party against a 20 year incumbent. Go figure. Then there is the third candidate who also has had issues with her party. This has the makings of a nasty campaign of which I want no part. While I look forward to hearing from all candidates, I will repeat that I do not want any involvement and I will not endorse any candidate in District C.
    The third candidate in the C race referred to is the candidate who dropped out a few days after filing for office.

    So there you have it. Harold says he never called anyone and asked them to run. He certainly does not seem to stand behind the candidate who makes it sound as if she were handpicked by the Mayor.

    Don't take my word for it. Read the words of the Mayor.
    ==================================
    David Forvendel

    "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

    Opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    So post #90 under Cary District C thread would be misinformation by what you have posted today.

    For a candidate it is one thing to call yourself a journalist and expect people to believe what you say and it is another to be dishonest and ask people to believe because those who know have been determined to provide the truth. It is not a personal attack when dishonesty is being questioned. Liars need a good memory... Therefore nobody ever succeeds in lying and not getting caught! This candidates actions which are displayed in d4vendel post may have been part of the problems that have developed in her own party.


    Re: Cary - Distict "C"

    Quote Originally Posted by Belle
    Originally Posted by Belle
    Interesting that you sense frustration or confusion . . . . that's definitely a misread. I find that your previous replies failed to answer the central ideas, so I reformatted this to allow you to make a more clear response.

    I will make amendments, based on your statement above.

    1. You have stated repeatedly that the Mayor called you.
    2. That statement has not been verified by a third party in the forum.
    3. The mayor does not endorse you.
    3b The mayor has offered to endorse one candidate.
    4. You don't currently have your party's official support.
    4b You might have the endorsement of your party after they meet, if they endorse in local races.
    5. You did not have a reply ready for voters on their #1 issue on the day you filed.
    6. You replied with sarcasm to MattD.
    7. You went to IOPL.
    8. You had not planned on filing until the mayor called personally to ask.
    9. You believe a candidate who has publicly stated he is withdrawing from the race is relevant to a discussion of this race.

    That about got it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE
    Michelle, your recent revisions to my statements give a misleading impression of my candidacy. I've added in relevant facts for the sake of full disclosure and accuracy:

    1. You have stated repeatedly that the Mayor called you to run for Dist. C.
    2. Third-party verification of that statement has not been posted on carypolitics.org.
    3. The mayor has offered to endorsed the At-large incumbent only and does not intend to endorse 8 of the 9 candidates seeking seats on the town council including two 2 other incumbents.
    4. Endorsements by the Wake County Democratic party have yet to be determined.
    5. You did not have a reply ready for voters on their #1 issue on the day you filed.
    6. You replied with sarcasm to MattD.
    7. You are an IOPL fellow.
    8. You filed to run in Dist.C after party recruitment efforts failed to find a challenger to the incumbent.
    9. You believe a candidate who has not officially filed to withdraw from the race is still relevant.

    Thanks for the opportunity to clarify. I think we've sufficiently covered these point and would appreciate moving forward to new topics in the thread.
    __________________
    Catherine Evangelista
    Candidate for Cary Town Council, Dist. C
    Last edited by dhyatt; 10-01-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: format

    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

  3. #3
    CatherineE Guest

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Until Dave Forevendel can post the mayor's actual emails in their entirety, there is no need to respond to his bogus allegations in the first post of this thread. His pathetic post is a hodge-podge of lies, innuendo and a desperate attempt to string together discrete comments taken out of context and out of chronological order.

    The "'so to speak' cat out of the bag" comment has nothing to do with me or my campaign. If anything, it appears to be in reference to either Jack Smith's campaign manager Bill's constant emails to the mayor seeking a useable quote to refute the fact the mayor asked me to run. OR it has to do with the quote the mayor provided to Lori Bush's campaign which was used on her direct mail piece late this week. Either way, I haven't asked him for a quote so why Dave is referencing that line about me is unfathomable.

    FYI...The mayor has not had to grant permissions to me because I haven't asked for anything that would require it. I have not asked to (1) use his photo (2) use a quote from him. I have no need of either. Until Dave can produce evidence that the mayor flat out denies he asked me to run for office, this matter is closed. Finito. Move on. Stop obsessing, Dave.

    The laughable "there you have it" crap from Dave Forevendel fails to prove anything refuting my statements about the mayor's request to me. The fact is, Jack has gotten upset and has placed many heated calls to the mayor and had several discussions on this which the mayor is tired of having with Jack.

    Sorry the truth is so powerful and yet so uncomfortable to Jack's campaign and others. The fact of the matter is Mayor Harold Weinbrecht asked me in the latter half of 2008 to run for District C's council seat. Obviously, no one hasn't bothered to check public records with the town of Cary records for an email sent by the mayor to me confirming this discussion.

    If you'd like the date of that email, let me know at 919-215-0937. Or email me at gelista@earthlink.net.

  4. #4
    dhyatt's Avatar
    dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    4,743

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Don't worry folks. I'll turn on CPTEPN first thing after the election. To do so now would be kind of unfair.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    992

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by dhyatt View Post
    Don't worry folks. I'll turn on CPTEPN first thing after the election. To do so now would be kind of unfair.
    "fair" is in the eye of the beholder.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineE View Post
    Until Dave Forevendel can post the mayor's actual emails in their entirety, there is no need to respond to his bogus allegations in the first post of this thread. His pathetic post is a hodge-podge of lies, innuendo and a desperate attempt to string together discrete comments taken out of context and out of chronological order.

    The "'so to speak' cat out of the bag" comment has nothing to do with me or my campaign. If anything, it appears to be in reference to either Jack Smith's campaign manager Bill's constant emails to the mayor seeking a useable quote to refute the fact the mayor asked me to run. OR it has to do with the quote the mayor provided to Lori Bush's campaign which was used on her direct mail piece late this week. Either way, I haven't asked him for a quote so why Dave is referencing that line about me is unfathomable.

    FYI...The mayor has not had to grant permissions to me because I haven't asked for anything that would require it. I have not asked to (1) use his photo (2) use a quote from him. I have no need of either. Until Dave can produce evidence that the mayor flat out denies he asked me to run for office, this matter is closed. Finito. Move on. Stop obsessing, Dave.

    The laughable "there you have it" crap from Dave Forevendel fails to prove anything refuting my statements about the mayor's request to me. The fact is, Jack has gotten upset and has placed many heated calls to the mayor and had several discussions on this which the mayor is tired of having with Jack.

    Sorry the truth is so powerful and yet so uncomfortable to Jack's campaign and others. The fact of the matter is Mayor Harold Weinbrecht asked me in the latter half of 2008 to run for District C's council seat. Obviously, no one hasn't bothered to check public records with the town of Cary records for an email sent by the mayor to me confirming this discussion.

    If you'd like the date of that email, let me know at 919-215-0937. Or email me at gelista@earthlink.net.

    Why don't you just produce a copy of the email confirming the discussion?

    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    CatherineE Guest

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Daily View Post

    Why don't you just produce a copy of the email confirming the discussion?
    The simple act of me providing the email would only result in yet another of your diatribes about its veracity, my credibility, etc. If you want to see it then view it through the town's public records to remove all doubt.

    When you ask for the date, make sure you provide your identity. While this issue makes for a good little "drama" during the campaign, I don't feel compelled to have to prove a thing to my opponent's team. I know the truth. The mayor knows it and so does Jack's team.

    But don't worry, I'll turn on the HTPYFM when the election's over, you know, just to be fair.

  8. #8
    d4vendel's Avatar
    d4vendel is offline Verified Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    2-Star Forum General
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Silverton
    Posts
    1,624

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Nothing I have posted on this subject has been out of context.

    Most people here know me and NONE of them have called me on what I have posted. Included in that group are long time posters who are not some of Jack's biggest fans.

    If anyone has doubts about what I have posted, they are free to contact the Mayor himself or Jordon Cooke of the News and Observer for verification of the facts. Both have the email chains.

    To sum up:

    Did the Mayor and Ms. Evangelista ever talk about what it would take to run for office? Yes. As the Mayor has said, that was nothing more than he would do for anyone interested in running for office. I am not questioning that.

    Did the Mayor specifically call Ms. Evangelista and ask her to run as she has repeatedly claimed in public forums? According to everything I have been told by the Mayor in emails and face to face conversations - the answer is No.
    ==================================
    David Forvendel

    "You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

    Opinions are mine, not those of my employer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    Nothing I have posted on this subject has been out of context.

    Most people here know me and NONE of them have called me on what I have posted. Included in that group are long time posters who are not some of Jack's biggest fans.

    If anyone has doubts about what I have posted, they are free to contact the Mayor himself or Jordon Cooke of the News and Observer for verification of the facts. Both have the email chains.

    To sum up:

    Did the Mayor and Ms. Evangelista ever talk about what it would take to run for office? Yes. As the Mayor has said, that was nothing more than he would do for anyone interested in running for office. I am not questioning that.

    Did the Mayor specifically call Ms. Evangelista and ask her to run as she has repeatedly claimed in public forums? According to everything I have been told by the Mayor in emails and face to face conversations - the answer is No.
    Not only has she repeated this false claim in public but when I went to early voting last week and was forced to take one of her flyers I overheard her trash talking the Mayor.

    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein

  10. #10
    CatherineE Guest

    Default Re: Comment from the Mayor

    Quote Originally Posted by d4vendel View Post
    Nothing I have posted on this subject has been out of context.

    Most people here know me and NONE of them have called me on what I have posted. Included in that group are long time posters who are not some of Jack's biggest fans.

    If anyone has doubts about what I have posted, they are free to contact the Mayor himself or Jordon Cooke of the News and Observer for verification of the facts. Both have the email chains.

    To sum up:

    Did the Mayor and Ms. Evangelista ever talk about what it would take to run for office? Yes. As the Mayor has said, that was nothing more than he would do for anyone interested in running for office. I am not questioning that.

    Did the Mayor specifically call Ms. Evangelista and ask her to run as she has repeatedly claimed in public forums? According to everything I have been told by the Mayor in emails and face to face conversations - the answer is No.
    Dave you can keep on wishing and hoping but the answer is YES, the mayor did ask me to run. Keep on trying to "frankenstein" together the facts to get them to fit your little campaign story to create a drama where there is none.

    It's been months of your attacks and you have yet to provide anything other than a qualified story using phrases you concoct so carefully "according to everything I have been told by the mayor in emails and face to face conversations...". Everyone can see you still haven't brought us to the mayor saying "no." This is just more dirty campaigning by my opponent's lead dog. Pathetic.

    It happened. Get. Over. it. Move on. Campaign for your guy and stop slinging your qualified crap at everyone in hopes of misleading them from the truth. I had no idea how nervous this makes you and your team. You of all people should be seeking the date of the email in which this is confirmed by the Mayor but I have yet to hear from you on it.

    Wonder why that is???

Similar Threads

  1. State of Town address (Mayor wants to hear us).
    By bcredle in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
  2. Latest on the New Hill saga.
    By bobo in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 08:45 PM
  3. Is Mayor Sears in denial concerning the WTF?
    By bobo in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 01:20 AM
  4. Public Speaks Out or Public Kicked Out?
    By Brent in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 03:35 PM
  5. Mayor Guilty
    By Rono in forum Local Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •