Thread: The Brookgreen Speedway.

Hybrid View

johnb is offline Verified 3-Star Forum General

Default The Brookgreen Speedway.

So a funny thing happened in Scottish Hills. For now, let's skip how it started and get to what is going on now.

There is a pole mounted radar gun with a large led display near the intersection of Brookgreen and Balmoral.

How it got there, well, refer to that first sentence, it's there facing down Brookgreen so drivers coming up from Lake Pine are getting clocked. The speed limit is 15 MPH on that section of road. This morning JohnB was out walking the grandson's mutt, whom I detest with all my being - the dog not the grandson, and I get to see cars going 28/29/39 MPH and so on. Oddly, not ONE single vehicle hit that point going the speed limit- the aforementioned 15 MPH.

This intersection is a T and is a mess because, well, not even the CPD officers cruising down Brookgreen travel at 15 MPH in that zone. It's pretty hard to rationalize enforcing a speed limit LEO's don't comply with.

Facts are funny things. In reference to that first sentence, I sent an email to city hall that has evidently made the rounds. In it I wrote that the average speed on that section of road is 2x - 3x the posted speed limit. I haven't even seen what speeds are getting clocked at night, I may have to get out a lawn chair for this. It's pretty funny to see the front of a car almost hit the asphalt when the driver hits the brakes to slow down...too late!

Even worse are the knuckleheads that don't slow down.

I argued with staff a some years ago about the need for a stop sign on Brookgreen at the intersection with Balmoral for this very reason. This time, looks like someone listened and is bothering to gather statistical data.

Now if the Council representative who allegedly represents Scottish Hills would walk the neighborhood and ask the residents on and around the Brookgreen Speedway what their impression is of traffic on that road we might get some action taken.

Now I wonder if the PD is going to pay attention to the mention I made in my email of a drug dealer on Brookgreen operating out of his house. It's pretty bad when folks in the neighborhood ask me if I know about the dude. Yes, I did, cause I had a conversation about him with one of his former customers. Who knows, we might even get some action taken about the stoner skateboarders who play chicken with automobiles moving down our neighborhood roads.

Default Re: The Brookgreen Speedway.

Updation, well the city traffic engineer, name withheld for now, lied to the city council. He claimed the speed limit on Brookgreen is approximately the speed limit. Everyone who lives on or near Brookgreen whom I relay that lying weasel's claim to laughs. They think it is a joke. The radar gun was mounted so that almost 40 percent of the cars clocked were turning onto or off of Brookgreen at the intersection with Balmoral. The city traffic engineer contaminated his data sample and he did it deliberately to create the answer he wanted to give the city.

In the interim, we still have wine liquor bottles deposited in yards up and down Brookgreen, the CPD can't/won't act. We still have a drug dealer on the 900 block of Brookgreen selling coke to CHS students. There is another house where the drug dealer will give curbside service at all hours of the night right on Brookgreen. It's a wonderful neighborhood and people are talking about the "need" to move before it deteriorates further. That's a bad sign, especially since the city council and the CPD refuse to act to change the dynamics of what is going on. Guess it's more important to find ways to play with the Whine and Cheese/Arts and Crafts crowd. Our city council is detestable. Thanks Gale.
    Last edited by dhyatt; 04-17-2012 at 12:24 PM.

dhyatt is offline Super Moderator Five Year Club
    Site Supporter
    Site Admin
    3-Star Forum General

Seriously? Measuring the speed by pointing radar at cars turning the corner? Absurd.
    Don Hyatt
    Webmaster
    CaryPolitics.org

The technical term for the city traffic engineer who pulled this stunt is "LIAR".

He sent an email to Frantz, et al, claiming there is no speeding problem on Brookgreen based on these insane numbers.

He has to have had an engineering degree to get that job, that he would not know better or could not have figured it out is unbelievable. He is a liar.

I've got a bag in which I'm tossing all the wine and liquor bottles that end up in my yard, on the Brookgreen side only. In the past I have taken alcohol container in to the police station to illustrate my point that some drunk is walking a regular and fixed route and throwing their 6 ounce sutter home plastic wine bottles in people yards. If one walks from Brookgreen to Lake Pine to plantation back to Brookgreen one will find these sutter home plastic wine bottles all over the place in bushes or tall vegetation. It's more important that the wind rattles the door at Harold Winebrecht's house and accidentally setting of his burglar alarm. For that, he gets the K9 unit, but for the rest of us in Cary that don't put money into Harold's or Gayle Adcock's re-election campaign coffers, we get lump of coal.
    Last edited by johnb; 04-23-2012 at 01:21 PM.

So this morning I took a pair of Sutter Home "Merlot" (I hate to assume there is a "vintage" or a type to a wine of the caliber of Boone's Farm or Thunderbird or Sutter Home, it's basically prison wine.) bottles: plastic, 6 ounces, metal screw on cap, to the CPD.

We filled out a report and I got to complain about the lack of resolution. Also dropped an empty Jose Cuervo Silver pint bottle on the desk. There are some less than sober persons driving on Brookgreen at all hours of the night.

I've never met a single body that lives on or near Brookgreen that accepts the premise that speeding is not a problem on that road. I pulled the traffic tickets and functionally no one gets cited on Brookgreen. Brookgreen is where the drunks drive because the CPD is all over Lake Pine.

We'll see if we can manage to increase the police presence on Brookgreen and get rid of some of the drunks. Frankly, I've had enough of the Sutter Home Bandit.